Decide where Greg goes this summer

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary: You get the idea.In summary, the conversation suggests that the individual is considering different places to visit and is seeking advice. The conversation also includes some humorous banter about Amsterdam being in Germany and the merits of different destinations. Ultimately, the summary suggests that the individual lived in Hawaii for four years and suggests visiting a botanical garden on the Big Island during the rainy season.

Where should Greg visit this summer?

• Maui, Hawaii

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Vancouver, Canada

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Tokyo, Japan

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Amsterdam, Germany

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
I'm looking at a few places, please help me decide :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm looking at a few places, please help me decide :smile:

Planning on listing the options? Otherwise that's a pretty open-ended question, and if you weren't the admin around here, I'd be writing the very first response that jumped to mind. :rofl:

New Yawk. But you'll probably end up some place warmer like Hawaii or Fiji

Moonbear said:
Planning on listing the options? Otherwise that's a pretty open-ended question, and if you weren't the admin around here, I'd be writing the very first response that jumped to mind. :rofl:

lol, omg that was fast, I hadn't even posted the poll yet and you replied! :biggrin:

The_Professional said:
New Yawk. But you'll probably end up some place warmer like Hawaii or Fiji

I've been to NY already

Greg Bernhardt said:
lol, omg that was fast, I hadn't even posted the poll yet and you replied! :biggrin:

LOL! I guess I was a bit impatient there. Maybe when someone is creating a poll, something indicating poll under construction or something would be useful to see so us impatient folks know to wait. :biggrin:

You've got some great places on that list! I can't decide, they all sound great! Whatever you pick, can I go with you? All places I'd love to visit! :biggrin:

Sorry for being rude,but

AMSTERDAM IS NOT IN GERMANY! :grumpy: :devil:

And yes,you should go to Maui... :tongue2:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Sorry for being rude,but

AMSTERDAM IS NOT IN GERMANY! :grumpy: :devil:

And yes,you should go to Maui... :tongue2:

Daniel.

Dang it, why did you tell him, i was hoping we'd get him too germany where he'd look and look, but never find amsterdam, greatest PF prank ever. But no, you ruined it.

franznietzsche said:
Dang it, why did you tell him, i was hoping we'd get him too germany where he'd look and look, but never find amsterdam, greatest PF prank ever. But no, you ruined it.

you are right, but this is dexter's "great" sense of humour :rolleyes:

marlon :wink:

Greg, go to Amsterdam in Germany...lot's of good food, beautiful girls, free entrance everywhere and the best booze in the world. This is the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty. take me down there...

marlon

Sorry,but eventually someone else would have found it outrageous,just as i did and probably would have told him the bad news... :tongue2:

Besides,to me,geography is the most important thing i know...I know geography far better than physics... :cool:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Sorry,but eventually someone else would have found it outrageous,just as i did and probably would have told him the bad news... :tongue2:

You know, despite the pattern of City, State/Country in all the other choices, for some reason, I just read that choice as Amsterdam/Germany, meaning visit Amsterdam and Germany. I hope that's what it meant anyway.

Oh, I would LOVE to have seen what would have happened if we had sent Greg to Amsterdam in Germany! I think that one of two scenarios would have played out:

1. Greg never finds Amsterdam, and he keeps posting at PF for directions.

2. Greg tries to play it off all cool like he found Amsterdam in Germany and tells us about what a blast it was.

Either way, that's priceless comedy! :rofl:

Thanks a lot, dexter! :frown:

PS: Greg, go to Hawaii. You look a little pasty in your pictures, and you could use some sun. :biggrin:

dextercioby said:

Thats like justifying murder by saying that the victim would have died eventually anyway.

I voted for Amsterdam, Germany. The Amsterdam in the Netherlands is way over rated.

franznietzsche said:
Thats like justifying murder by saying that the victim would have died eventually anyway.

AMEN TO THAT

marlon

Tom Mattson said:

2. Greg tries to play it off all cool like he found Amsterdam in Germany and tells us about what a blast it was.

Hey I'm a dumb american college student remember, I can still get to make these kinds of mistakes :biggrin:

Maui is in the United States.

Hey, all the other places listed the country rather than the state or province, and you did mislocate Amsterdam, so we assume nothing! :rofl:

Yeah, Greg would have been looking for Amsterdam a long time.

But, don't feel too bad. Me and a few other folks once started driving for Mt Etna about 10 miles away. An hour later were only 12 miles away from the mountain and finally stopped and asked for directions - kind of interesting since we couldn't speak Italian and they couldn't speak English, but I kind of got the gist and their directions got us there.

The signs confused us. The arrows didn't mean turn left or right. It meant if you wanted to go up highway 66, drive between the arrows (one on either side with the route number above each).

Typical scene:

"Turn left here."

(Driver turns left)

"Hey, that sign says we should have turned right!"

"Well, duh! Most roads go both ways, don't they?"

Fifteen minutes later:

"You'd think they'd repeat the sign once in a while just so you can make sure you're still going the right way."

"You sure we are still going the right way?"

"Of course, you haven't seen any signs telling us to turn, have you?"

I lived in Hawaii for 4 years. Your money is better spent elsewhere. The Big Island, Oahu, Kauai, Maui are well traveled by EVERYONE. It's very rare that you can find a place to go that would provide an experience that lives up to the mystique. If I were ever to go back it would be during the rainy season, Dec-Feb, and it would be to a botanical garden on the Big Island unless the volcano was splodin' and then I'd chunk a virgin in just for gp.

Tom Mattson said:
Oh, I would LOVE to have seen what would have happened if we had sent Greg to Amsterdam in Germany! I think that one of two scenarios would have played out:

As I can't leave any alternative hypothesis unstated, there is a third possibility: there might be AN Amsterdam in Germany, and when Greg arrived in the middle of some obscure town where cow tipping is considered exciting nightlife, well, I can only hope someone is hiding behind the trees with a camera to catch the expression on his face. :biggrin:

What the hell kind of college student has enough money to travel abroad? Every trip I ever took in college was limited by the hometowns of people who were staying in my dorm. I'd trade my car and gasoline for their willingness to drive while me and my buddy got drunk in the backseat. Then they had to put us up at their house for the weekend.

Moonbear said:
As I can't leave any alternative hypothesis unstated, there is a third possibility: there might be AN Amsterdam in Germany
Is this how you talk? I would have said: there might BE an Amsterdam in Germany. I don't know what a Cincinatti accent sounds like.

In light of your geographical skills, if you are currently in the USA and are planning to drive to your destination, choose Vancouver, Canada. :biggrin:

Have you ever been to Ireland? Great place to visit.

All your choices are good, but they only make you happy for a little while. I suggest vacationing here, in Arizona this summer. Nothing will make you happier than knowing you don't have to live in this heat.

tribdog said:
All your choices are good, but they only make you happy for a little while. I suggest vacationing here, in Arizona this summer. Nothing will make you happier than knowing you don't have to live in this heat.
:rofl:

My grandma used to live in Yuma, AZ. OMG we went down there one summer, and wow, it was easily 105, maybe even 110. Any time I ever think it is too hot, I just think about how hot it was there.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Hey I'm a dumb american college student remember, I can still get to make these kinds of mistakes :biggrin:
You should be ashamed, VERY ashamed :devil: :rofl:

Maybe you should come and visit America, Netherlands (it exists) :tongue:

That's a tough list to choose from. We loved Amsterdam. It is a fascinating and somewhat shocking city with the best foods from all over the world. We ate and ate and ate, and then polished things off with lots of chocolate! It also works well to use Amsterdam as a HUB for short trips to neighboring countries. The rail passes are relatively cheap, even first class, and a multi-country pass allows almost unlimited free travel once there. On the other hand, there is no place like Hawaii. So if the ocean scene and all of the related activities sounds good to you, my vote has got to be Maui.

tribdog said:
Is this how you talk? I would have said: there might BE an Amsterdam in Germany. I don't know what a Cincinatti accent sounds like.

Why would you emphasize "be?" That sounds really odd to me. Though, I don't have a Cincinnati accent, if anything, it's still mostly a Jersey accent, but not the really bad Nawth Joisey variety. "An" was emphasized to highlight that I meant it as opposed to "THE" Amsterdam we all know is in The Netherlands. I think Tsu needs to come back with the purple probe now. :tongue2:

mattmns said:
:rofl:

My grandma used to live in Yuma, AZ. OMG we went down there one summer, and wow, it was easily 105, maybe even 110. Any time I ever think it is too hot, I just think about how hot it was there.
105? did you come here at night? I put on a jacket at 105. Wait til you have to get into a car that's been parked outside in 115. The blast of air when you open the door is almost enough to make you cry. If it didn't immediately evaporate all your tears you probably would cry.

tribdog said:
105? did you come here at night? I put on a jacket at 105. Wait til you have to get into a car that's been parked outside in 115. The blast of air when you open the door is almost enough to make you cry. If it didn't immediately evaporate all your tears you probably would cry.

Mmm, sounds toasty. :approve: 105 might be warm enough for me, but 115 sounds so much better...as long as it's a dry heat. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Why would you emphasize "be?" That sounds really odd to me. Though, I don't have a Cincinnati accent, if anything, it's still mostly a Jersey accent, but not the really bad Nawth Joisey variety. "An" was emphasized to highlight that I meant it as opposed to "THE" Amsterdam we all know is in The Netherlands. I think Tsu needs to come back with the purple probe now. :tongue2:
Be was emphasized because I don't know if there is an Amsterdam in Germany. but there might BE.
I was trying to think of a sentence to say where I could emphasize the wrong word as a joke, and I can't think of one. No matter what word I emphsize, I can justify its being emphasized. for example
I want a kiss. (not him or him, but me, kiss me)
I want a kiss. (I don't need a kiss, but I do want one)
I want a kiss. (just one, that's all)
I want a kiss (not a noogie, or a piece of pie, but a kiss
)

there isn't :tongue:

tribdog said:
Be was emphasized because I don't know if there is an Amsterdam in Germany. but there might BE.

But, then wouldn't you be emphasizing "might" instead of "be?"

I was trying to think of a sentence to say where I could emphasize the wrong word as a joke, and I can't think of one. No matter what word I emphsize, I can justify its being emphasized. for example
I want a kiss. (not him or him, but me, kiss me)
I want a kiss. (I don't need a kiss, but I do want one)
I want a kiss. (just one, that's all)
I want a kiss (not a noogie, or a piece of pie, but a kiss
)

Keep picking on my choice of words to emphasize and you'll keep on wanting. :biggrin:

I would like to APOLOGIZE to you right now...emphatically.

Arguing over emphasis, quite sad indeed. what if someone does this. OHH!