Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decide where Greg goes this summer

1. Maui, Hawaii

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. Vancouver, Canada

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Tokyo, Japan

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. Amsterdam, Germany

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    I'm looking at a few places, please help me decide :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Planning on listing the options? Otherwise that's a pretty open-ended question, and if you weren't the admin around here, I'd be writing the very first response that jumped to mind. :rofl:

4. Jan 26, 2005 #3
    New Yawk. But you'll probably end up some place warmer like Hawaii or Fiji

5. Jan 26, 2005 #4
    lol, omg that was fast, I hadn't even posted the poll yet and you replied! :biggrin:

6. Jan 26, 2005 #5
    I've been to NY already

7. Jan 26, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL! I guess I was a bit impatient there. Maybe when someone is creating a poll, something indicating poll under construction or something would be useful to see so us impatient folks know to wait. :biggrin:

You've got some great places on that list! I can't decide, they all sound great! Whatever you pick, can I go with you? All places I'd love to visit! :biggrin:

8. Jan 26, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry for being rude,but

AMSTERDAM IS NOT IN GERMANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grumpy: :devil:

And yes,you should go to Maui... :tongue2:

Daniel.

9. Jan 26, 2005 #8
    Dang it, why did you tell him, i was hoping we'd get him too germany where he'd look and look, but never find amsterdam, greatest PF prank ever. But no, you ruined it.

10. Jan 26, 2005 #9
    you are right, but this is dexter's "great" sense of humour :rolleyes:

marlon :wink:

11. Jan 26, 2005 #10
    Greg, go to Amsterdam in Germany...lot's of good food, beautiful girls, free entrance everywhere and the best booze in the world. This is the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty. take me down there........

marlon

12. Jan 26, 2005 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry,but eventually someone else would have found it outrageous,just as i did and probably would have told him the bad news... :tongue2:

Besides,to me,geography is the most important thing i know...I know geography far better than physics... :cool:

Daniel.

13. Jan 26, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, despite the pattern of City, State/Country in all the other choices, for some reason, I just read that choice as Amsterdam/Germany, meaning visit Amsterdam and Germany. I hope that's what it meant anyway.

14. Jan 26, 2005 #13

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I would LOVE to have seen what would have happened if we had sent Greg to Amsterdam in Germany! I think that one of two scenarios would have played out:

1. Greg never finds Amsterdam, and he keeps posting at PF for directions.

2. Greg tries to play it off all cool like he found Amsterdam in Germany and tells us about what a blast it was.

Either way, that's priceless comedy! :rofl:

Thanks a lot, dexter!!! :frown:

PS: Greg, go to Hawaii. You look a little pasty in your pictures, and you could use some sun. :biggrin:

15. Jan 26, 2005 #14
    Thats like justifying murder by saying that the victim would have died eventually anyway.

16. Jan 26, 2005 #15
    I voted for Amsterdam, Germany. The Amsterdam in the Netherlands is way over rated.

17. Jan 26, 2005 #16

AMEN TO THAT

marlon

18. Jan 26, 2005 #17
    Hey I'm a dumb american college student remember, I can still get to make these kinds of mistakes :biggrin:

19. Jan 26, 2005 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maui is in the United States.

Hey, all the other places listed the country rather than the state or province, and you did mislocate Amsterdam, so we assume nothing! :rofl:

Yeah, Greg would have been looking for Amsterdam a long time.

But, don't feel too bad. Me and a few other folks once started driving for Mt Etna about 10 miles away. An hour later were only 12 miles away from the mountain and finally stopped and asked for directions - kind of interesting since we couldn't speak Italian and they couldn't speak English, but I kind of got the gist and their directions got us there.

The signs confused us. The arrows didn't mean turn left or right. It meant if you wanted to go up highway 66, drive between the arrows (one on either side with the route number above each).

Typical scene:

"Turn left here."

(Driver turns left)

"Hey, that sign says we should have turned right!"

"Well, duh! Most roads go both ways, don't they?"

Fifteen minutes later:

"You'd think they'd repeat the sign once in a while just so you can make sure you're still going the right way."

"You sure we are still going the right way?"

"Of course, you haven't seen any signs telling us to turn, have you?"

20. Jan 26, 2005 #19
    I lived in Hawaii for 4 years. Your money is better spent elsewhere. The Big Island, Oahu, Kauai, Maui are well travelled by EVERYONE. It's very rare that you can find a place to go that would provide an experience that lives up to the mystique. If I were ever to go back it would be during the rainy season, Dec-Feb, and it would be to a botanical garden on the Big Island unless the volcano was splodin' and then I'd chunk a virgin in just for gp.

21. Jan 26, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I can't leave any alternative hypothesis unstated, there is a third possibility: there might be AN Amsterdam in Germany, and when Greg arrived in the middle of some obscure town where cow tipping is considered exciting nightlife, well, I can only hope someone is hiding behind the trees with a camera to catch the expression on his face. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?