Decided to go to pharmacy school

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, a pharmacist in the US can make between $120,000 and $130,000 per year, with most making closer to the high end of that range. The job is in high demand, with many pharmacists working over 60 hours per week. The pay is good, but the job comes with a lot of responsibilities, including heavy debt repayment.
gravenewworld
This sounds pretty enticing:

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The enticement was hard to refuse: a signing bonus of $30,000. The wad of cash would help with student loans, so who could turn down the extra cash — on top of a nearly $130,000 annual salary?

So, straight out of pharmacy school in Chapel Hill, N.C., R.J. Kulyk crossed the country for a job at a Walgreens in Redding, Calif. “It was a no-brainer,” Kulyk recalled.

Pharmacists remain in short supply across the country, particularly in rural areas. Competition among retail outlets and health-care facilities is fierce, and the pay — salaries typically start around $120,000 — is high. To lure pharmacists, retailers are dangling incentives of all kind. For a while, one even put recruits behind the wheel of a BMW.

Plus I love the study of pharmacology. I was thinking about medical school, but after shadowing doctors, I don't think I would want to work 60+ hour weeks, especially once I have a family. The pharms where my dad works work 80 hr weeks and get the whole next week off. That would be nice to have a vacation every other week.

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah but an 80 hour week is two weeks in one go, innit?

I like 37 hour weeks...

My good friend is a pharmacist, and I work in a pharmacy, how they all do it, is they rotate the days. Don't think they get anywhere near 80 hours per week, unless one of them went on vacation. It is pretty awesome pay, but think of the bills that you will have to be paying on in order to pay off the school loans. One of them, I think just now paid his loans off, and it's been about 20 years or so that he graduated. They have been giving awesome benefits to get more people to work for the certain companies. I would suggest looking into it, before you say yes. Maybe shadow a few pharmacists, from different comapnies, and weigh out the options (and incentives), and see how the work flow is.

To be honest, we live in a great country (US and Canada) where if you make decent money, manage it right, just about anyone can retire early (unless everyone does the same thing but no worries since no one does).

My plan is to try and save money, invest in different areas (real estate, stocks and bonds) and try to make myself a financially secure future by the time I'm 45 or so.

As a pharmacist, I would look at that as an opportunity to accomplish this quicker. Unfortunately, most see it as a chance to spend more and more money.

Invest wisely.

gravenewworld said:
Plus I love the study of pharmacology. I was thinking about medical school, but after shadowing doctors, I don't think I would want to work 60+ hour weeks, especially once I have a family. The pharms where my dad works work 80 hr weeks and get the whole next week off. That would be nice to have a vacation every other week.
One of my oldest friends is a pharmacist, but he decided that he didn't like working in a retail environment. He and his wife moved back to PA and he worked for a chain pharmacy while putting his wife through grad school so she'd have a masters in special education. Then they moved back to Maine so she could get a well-paying job and put him through law school. Not surprisingly, he got sick of legal work, too, and he and a friend started an import business that thrived until the recession struck. His major import was custom jewelry from Nepal, and it's pretty easy for women to give up buying jewelry in times of poor income. Now he's working as a pharmacist again to pay the bills. At least he's got the skills and the certification to fall back on.

If you can shadow a couple of pharmacists, see if you can work with at least one in a strictly retail environment, and another that works filling prescriptions for hospital and nursing home patients. My friend would have preferred to be in the latter position, but the openings he found were in retail, so he's working for a retail chain for now.

gravenewworld said:
The pharms where my dad works work 80 hr weeks and get the whole next week off. That would be nice to have a vacation every other week.

Great! Yet more life-critical jobs where those doing the job are working too many hours. Only recently did the medical establishment start cracking down on the scheduling of ER docs, who were working ridiculous numbers of hours.

That aside, my perception has long been that pharmacists do quite well. I think you have made a great choice! However, I also understand that pharmacy students have a very high failure rate - something around 90% - so plan to work hard. :smile:

Last edited:
Oh yes, when you are on the national board of pharmacologists, please do something about those 80-hour weeks. I want my pharmacist to be awake to do his or her job.

mcknia07 said:
My good friend is a pharmacist, and I work in a pharmacy, how they all do it, is they rotate the days. Don't think they get anywhere near 80 hours per week, unless one of them went on vacation. It is pretty awesome pay, but think of the bills that you will have to be paying on in order to pay off the school loans. One of them, I think just now paid his loans off, and it's been about 20 years or so that he graduated. They have been giving awesome benefits to get more people to work for the certain companies. I would suggest looking into it, before you say yes. Maybe shadow a few pharmacists, from different comapnies, and weigh out the options (and incentives), and see how the work flow is.

Eh, I've come to accept 20 or 30 year student loans a simply a part of life now. It all depends on how you live. Do you pay off all your loans right away, or buy a house and a car after you get a real job and prolong the payments for 20 years? I've been looking at some pharm jobs, some places will actually help pay your loans off if you decide to work in an under served area.
I just applied for a pharm tech job for the next year at my local VA hospital. Definitely a pay cut, but the experience is invaluable to put on the application for schools.

1. Why did you decide to go to pharmacy school?

I have always been interested in science and medicine, and I wanted a career where I could help people and make a positive impact on their health. Pharmacy school seemed like the perfect fit for me, as it combines my love for science with the opportunity to directly help patients.

2. How long does it take to complete pharmacy school?

The length of pharmacy school can vary, but it typically takes about 4 years to complete a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program. Some programs may also require pre-pharmacy coursework, which can add an additional 2-3 years.

3. What are some of the courses you take in pharmacy school?

Some common courses in pharmacy school include pharmacology, medicinal chemistry, pharmaceutics, patient care, and pharmacy law and ethics. Students also have the opportunity to choose electives in areas such as pharmacogenomics, oncology, or drug discovery.

4. What are the career options for pharmacy school graduates?

Graduates from pharmacy school can pursue a variety of career paths, including working in retail or hospital pharmacies, conducting research, or working in the pharmaceutical industry. Some may also choose to specialize in a particular area of pharmacy, such as oncology, pediatrics, or geriatrics.

5. What are some important qualities for a successful pharmacy student?

Some important qualities for a successful pharmacy student include strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, good communication skills, and the ability to work well in a team. It is also important to have a strong foundation in science and be able to handle a heavy workload and challenging coursework.

Back