1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deciding a focus to study

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    So, I am an undergraduate physics student and I need a little help/advice on deciding a focus to move forward into and eventually do research in. The reason that I have a difficult time deciding is that I am fascinated with nearly every aspect of physics from quantum mechanics to astrophysics. I have narrowed the fields to a few, but I cannot decide where to lay my main efforts. The areas I have closed in on are particle physics, cosmology, & electromagnetic radiation [optics]. This being said, I am still open to other concepts. I guess what I am asking is what are some of the details of day to day research for certain fields and how you decided to go where you did. Thanks.

-Loop

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

It's good to have a lot of interests. My suggestion is to focus on the coursework for fundamental physics like CM, QM, and EM theory and the associated math to go with them so you will have a solid foundation for whatever you eventually decide to go into. If you spread yourself too thin then you will be less prepared to take on more advanced stuff.

We have a featured thread here on becoming a physicist that may be of help written by mentor Zapperz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook