1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deciding my future

1. Nov 9, 2006 #1
    This is my last year in school (17 years old), so i was deciding my future with my dad and we fighted about my career when i told him that i want to study physics, and he sayd that you cant cause you will not earn money, and stuff like that.

So he impose that i must study administration, lol (be a manager thats a crap). And i dont have the economical power to scape the house and study physic, so i was thinking studying administration (5 years), after that seek for a job, with the money of that job, will finance my studies in physic...

What do you think...

sorry for my bad english.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2006 #2
    how about you reach a compromise and do a dual degree with business and science or administration and physics (same difference?).

If not tell your father engineers make heaps of money and study that. Then you get physics, maths and chem all in one hit.

4. Nov 9, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Convince him that physicists earn money?

5. Nov 9, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

It is a typical thing that dads think physicists don't earn money. That's interesting.

6. Nov 9, 2006 #5

verty

Homework Helper

Don't give up. Don't do what you don't want to do.

7. Nov 9, 2006 #6
    Print him out an article which states how much physicists earn. They can earn a lot.

8. Nov 9, 2006 #7
    How much does they earn?

9. Nov 9, 2006 #8

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Nov 9, 2006 #9

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Nov 9, 2006 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Plus, the salary levels for Business Administration is spiralling down because everyone thinks there is money in it, hence your dad thinks so too. Because of this, supply goes up! And if you know anything about business, when supply goes up for a job, salaries go down.

It wouldn't surprise me if the salaries for Physicists have stayed consistent in the past 50 years (considering inflation) because it's not like all of the sudden there will be a flood of Physicists coming into the field. That would be great, but it's not going to happen.

Note: When I transferred to university, my mom thought I was going into business. I didn't tell her it was for Mathematics. She didn't find out until half way through first year. Of course, she didn't and probably doesn't like that decision. I'm happy, so that's all that matters.

12. Nov 9, 2006 #11
    Thanks alot guys, Now my emotional state had rised.

Just another question; if a person is not too smart, can he finish a physic career?

Cause we dont know our limits until we are in the middle of a career, rigth?
    Because in college the math and the physic is easy, and it is a hard decide.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  13. Nov 9, 2006 #12
    What college?

14. Nov 9, 2006 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

15. Nov 9, 2006 #14
    :biggrin: I almost clicked the link, but then read the title of it... then clicked it to make sure it's not an actual link :bugeye:

Best of luck Robert Mak. When it comes to your undergraduate education, don't settle for anything you do not want to do.

16. Nov 10, 2006 #15
    Thanks guys; I will study physic, my dad is an idiot (He doesnt know what he says) and talking about studing administration, i think that is too easy for a person who like science.

ps: I think that i passed my transition period (I mean i have only 17 years old and it is hard for a young men to take decision without the understanding of this path).

17. Nov 11, 2006 #16

verty

Homework Helper

I don't think it's about smartness more than skills. If you gain skills, you can use them whether you are smart or not. Smartness probably makes it easier to gain skills, or easier to gain them on your own without guidance, but once you have them, you have them.

18. Nov 11, 2006 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But then you're assuming that anyone can gain a skill, smart or not, which I disagree with.

That's the reality. Not anyone can do Physics, however slow you go.

19. Nov 11, 2006 #18

verty

Homework Helper

In the extreme, a disabled person typically can't learn to do hurdles, so some skills can't be learned, and perhaps some intellectual skills require some base level of intellect, but I think the hill is the learning of, not the having.

20. Nov 11, 2006 #19
    In average how many people are studying physics in a university?

21. Nov 11, 2006 #20
    very very few, an average large university may only have 20-50 majors entering every year.

For instance NYU which has a population of 50,000 students and they only get about 30 physics majors every year.

Also in the US high school physics teachers are in such high demand, that in some states you can get a free house, land, and a job right out of college. I believe the ratio of high school physics teachers to students is something on the order of 1:1000.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?