1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deciding on a master degree

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    Hi, I recently graduated from my undergraduate degree in chemical engineering. Since then, I have worked some time at a chemical plant and some time at a research center (specialized in materials science). Right now I am thinking of going to grad school, but I am having some trouble in deciding what kind of program get into.

My options are:

Msc in Chemical Engineering
    Msc in Materials Science/Engineering
    Msc in Chemistry (Catalysis)
    Msc in Applied Math

My Interest is to get into research of either fluid/Continuum mechanics or into catalysis, since I really like both fields.

My questions are...

Which of those masters do you recommend?
    Which field is more useful in industry?
    Which field has more prospects?
    Is there another option which better describes my interests?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2
    Regarding you interests, it depends entirely on what research the school is doing in each department.

In aggregate, though, the two engineering disciplines are in more demand and typically pay better than Chem or Applied Math.

4. Mar 20, 2013 #3
    Well, the problem is that I have yet to decide were to go to study my masters, I thought of first deciding specifically what was the type of master should I get and then, based on my decision, choose which university.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook