1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deciding on an elective

1. Jun 25, 2009 #1
    This is basically the syllabus for a math course I might take next year, I've already completed the required course in linear algebra for the physics program at my school. Would the following knowledge be helpful in any way? Or should I just take a random elective (e.g. "Greek and Roman Epic").

Abstract vector spaces: subspaces, dimension theory. Linear mappings: kernel, image, dimension theorem, isomorphisms, matrix of linear transformation. Changes of basis, invariant spaces, direct sums, cyclic subspaces, Cayley-Hamilton theorem. Inner product spaces, orthogonal transformations, orthogonal diagonalization, quadratic forms, positive definite matrices. Complex operators: Hermitian, unitary and normal. Spectral theorem. Isometries of R2 and R3.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted