NC State Freshman Deciding Major: Physics or Nuclear Engineering?

• Programs
  • Thread starter jmc9115
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation revolves around a student who is currently majoring in nuclear engineering at NC State University, but is having second thoughts about their decision. They had initially planned to major in physics due to their interest in astronomy, but changed their mind after getting accepted to the university. However, they are now reconsidering their decision and seeking advice on whether they should change their major. The advice given includes taking different electives, talking to professors and students in different majors, and getting involved in areas of interest. Additionally, the importance of completing English, mathematics, and physics courses is emphasized, as well as the possibility of taking gen ed courses during the summer. It is suggested that the student takes their time to decide and not rush into a
jmc9115
I am currently enrolled at NC State University as a freshman and right now am majoring in nuclear engineering. Lately, however, I have been having second thoughts about that decision. Prior to coming to NCSU, I had decided to major in physics because I have always been extremely interested in astronomy. After getting my acceptance letter from the college, I decided to change my major to nuclear engineering. This decision was mainly based on the fact that I was in a physics course in high school at the time and was not enjoying it at all. For a while I thought I had made the right decision, but now, as I think about the future, I don't really see myself enjoying a job in nuclear engineering.

Basically, I'd like some input on whether I should change my major. I do want to do physics/astronomy more than nuclear engineering, but I have always heard that it is difficult to get a job after graduation with just a BS in physics. Nuclear engineering seems to be at the complete opposite side of the spectrum, with just about everyone that graduates from the department securing a job with a solid salary.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest, the best thing is probably to just 'sit tight' for a while. As a freshmen, you have at least a year more before your 'general studies' start to diverge into 'major-specific' studies.

But use this next year wisley. Maybe take some different electives? Get some of the general 'flavor' of potential majors you are interested in.

Most importantly, talk to people. Talk to professors in different majors; talk to their students, especially those close to graduation. See how they feel about their decisions.

Get involved in the areas you are interested in; it is the only real way for you to make a decision like this.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you :smile:

I agree with above poster. Don't rush into "I want to do this" rightaway. Give it a time.

I myself took 2 years to figure for what might want to do. I say might b/c I'm working on two different majors.

What should you do till then? Get your English requirement done and take Mathematics and Physics courses.

You see whether you do Engineering or Physics you'll need both Mathematics and Physics. I would in particular focus on math...believe me it's good to be ahead of Mathematical prerequisites for Physics...they always help.

I wouldn't stress much on gen ed courses...although i suppose you ought to take 1-2 each semester...they'll give you a feel of college w/o stressing you over. But i wouldn't pick these over Math/Physics course...you can easily squeeze 2-3 gen ed course during summer ;)

edit: try doing some Computer Programming courses...at least one programming language is a must have for you.

What is the difference between Physics and Nuclear Engineering?

Physics is a broad field that studies the fundamental principles of matter and energy. It involves topics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Nuclear engineering is a specialized field within physics that focuses on the application of nuclear reactions to energy production, medicine, and other areas.

What career opportunities are available for Physics and Nuclear Engineering majors?

Physics majors can pursue careers in research, teaching, engineering, and various industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and energy. Nuclear engineering majors can work in fields such as nuclear power, nuclear medicine, and nuclear waste disposal.

What factors should I consider when deciding between Physics and Nuclear Engineering?

Some factors to consider include your interests, career goals, and strengths in math and science. Physics is a more general degree and can lead to a variety of careers, while nuclear engineering is more specialized and can lead to specific industries. It's also important to research the curriculum and course requirements for each major to see which aligns more with your interests and goals.

Are there any prerequisites or recommended courses for these majors?

Most universities have specific math and science requirements for both physics and nuclear engineering majors. It's important to check with your specific university to see if there are any recommended courses or prerequisites for these majors.

Is it possible to double major in Physics and Nuclear Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to double major in these two fields depending on the requirements and course offerings at your university. However, it may require careful planning and a heavier course load. It's important to speak with an academic advisor to see if this is a feasible option for you.