1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deciding on my Major

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    I am currently enrolled at NC State University as a freshman and right now am majoring in nuclear engineering. Lately, however, I have been having second thoughts about that decision. Prior to coming to NCSU, I had decided to major in physics because I have always been extremely interested in astronomy. After getting my acceptance letter from the college, I decided to change my major to nuclear engineering. This decision was mainly based on the fact that I was in a physics course in high school at the time and was not enjoying it at all. For a while I thought I had made the right decision, but now, as I think about the future, I don't really see myself enjoying a job in nuclear engineering.

Basically, I'd like some input on whether I should change my major. I do want to do physics/astronomy more than nuclear engineering, but I have always heard that it is difficult to get a job after graduation with just a BS in physics. Nuclear engineering seems to be at the complete opposite side of the spectrum, with just about everyone that graduates from the department securing a job with a solid salary.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2
    To be honest, the best thing is probably to just 'sit tight' for a while. As a freshmen, you have at least a year more before your 'general studies' start to diverge into 'major-specific' studies.

But use this next year wisley. Maybe take some different electives? Get some of the general 'flavor' of potential majors you are interested in.

Most importantly, talk to people. Talk to professors in different majors; talk to their students, especially those close to graduation. See how they feel about their decisions.

Get involved in the areas you are interested in; it is the only real way for you to make a decision like this.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you :smile:

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3
    I agree with above poster. Don't rush into "I want to do this" rightaway. Give it a time.

I myself took 2 years to figure for what might want to do. I say might b/c i'm working on two different majors.

What should you do till then? Get your English requirement done and take Mathematics and Physics courses.

You see whether you do Engineering or Physics you'll need both Mathematics and Physics. I would in particular focus on math...believe me it's good to be ahead of Mathematical prerequisites for Physics....they always help.

I wouldn't stress much on gen ed courses...although i suppose you ought to take 1-2 each semester...they'll give you a feel of college w/o stressing you over. But i wouldn't pick these over Math/Physics course...you can easily squeeze 2-3 gen ed course during summer ;)

edit: try doing some Computer Programming courses...at least one programming language is a must have for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook