Exploring New Places: Where to Go and How to Live Mobile

In summary: So I must agree with you.Yes, the Germans have a head start at Dutch. I know two Germans who speak Dutch so fluently and without accent that I always forget they are German :) Two others don't speak Dutch at all after many years at the Department.
cyanical
I'm fresh out of school, and I don't know where to go. All I know is I don't want to stay where I am now (California). I don't know what I'm looking for--maybe I just want to learn more about myself.

I've been playing the idea of visiting different cities/countries long enough to get a feel of them. Does anyone have any suggestions and/or advice on pursuing this? Does anyone here live a mobile life, by today's standards?

Money/employment is an important factor, but pretend it isn't. Pretend that the culture and spirit of a place and its people are all that matters. Where would you live?

Thanks and thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's the language issue to consider first and foremost. If you're not already fluent in some foreign language, trying to live in Italy or Spain, for example, would be an excursion in frustration until such time as you got up to speed.

zoobyshoe said:
There's the language issue to consider first and foremost. If you're not already fluent in some foreign language, trying to live in Italy or Spain, for example, would be an excursion in frustration until such time as you got up to speed.
Depends on the location in the country, he'll need to make sure that the institute is international and the working language is English. Indeed, it can be tough to be in Italy, Spain, France, Germany and not speak the local language (don't expect the general population to speak English), but it is a great opportunity for immersive learning. I know plenty of foreigners who work in the Netherlands and after years can't speak Dutch, because everyone is fluent in English.

Likes Lisa!
Monique said:
Depends on the location in the country, he'll need to make sure that the institute is international and the working language is English. Indeed, it can be tough to be in Italy, Spain, France, Germany and not speak the local language (don't expect the general population to speak English), but it is a great opportunity for immersive learning. I know plenty of foreigners who work in the Netherlands and after years can't speak Dutch, because everyone is fluent in English.

I know of 3 professors that succeeded in learning/becoming fluent in Dutch/flemish.
2 of them are German so they got a head start, I'd say. The other is Italian.
Then there is a Russian lecturer that seems to know some words like "happy birthday" and the like.

So I must agree with you.

Yes, the Germans have a head start at Dutch. I know two Germans who speak Dutch so fluently and without accent that I always forget they are German :) Two others don't speak Dutch at all after many years at the Department. I had a downstair neighbor who was working in Amsterdam for 10 years, who was only speaking English. He always complained that whenever he tried to speak Dutch, everyone would respond back in English.

1. What are the benefits of exploring new places?

Exploring new places allows you to broaden your perspective, learn about different cultures, and gain new experiences. It can also improve your problem-solving skills and increase your adaptability.

2. How do I choose where to go for my next adventure?

Consider your interests and budget, research popular travel destinations, and ask for recommendations from friends or travel experts. You can also make a list of must-see places and plan your trip around them.

3. How can I make the most out of my mobile lifestyle while traveling?

Invest in a good quality portable charger, download helpful travel apps, and familiarize yourself with the local transportation system. Also, make sure to have a backup plan in case of emergencies or unexpected situations.

4. What are some tips for living mobile while exploring new places?

Pack light and efficiently, stay organized, and be open to trying new things. It is also important to respect the local culture and customs, and to be mindful of your impact on the environment.

5. How can I stay safe while traveling to new places?

Research the safety and security of your destination beforehand, avoid walking alone at night, and be aware of your surroundings. It is also a good idea to have emergency contacts and important documents easily accessible in case of any emergencies.