Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decimal to radical algorithm?

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    decimal to radical algorithm???

does anyone know if there is a method of writing a decimal number in its simplified radical form?? I really would like to know if there is

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2007 #2
    do you mean find a radical that is close to a fraction of whole numbers that would approximate the decimal number?

E.g. find a & b such that sqrt(a/b) aprox = C where a &b are integers and C is a decimal.

In that case I don't know. But there exists an algorythm, I have seen it I think on "ask Dr. Math" or something similar.

4. Oct 11, 2007 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put it into continued fraction form. You may be able to recognize a repeating portion. (Actually, in trying this myself, I couldn't recognize anything. I'm not quite sure why. Maybe it just takes a whole lot of digits.)

ries is your friend. Try "ries 5.1425631813 -NCS" (where -NCS tells ries not to use the sine or cosine functions).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?