Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decisions decisions

1. Oct 26, 2003 #1
    Well, i have quite the problem...

I procrastinated all quarter so now i'm failing history. I can still pass if i write three papers by tomorrow. Two are research papers )i've done research for one, not the other) and the third is a preces (already outlined) now, individually, i could do any of them quickly, but i'm pretty stressed and i've stared at a blank screen since 7 (its now 9) If i don't do them, i fail history, and i'll need to retake it, because its only a quarter class, and i can't bring the grade up next quarter (cause there is no next quarter...) I'm sick. I've been near throwing up all day, either due to over-exhaustion or food poisoning, both due to work. (i hate working now) I could stay home tomorrow since i am sick and try and do my work (though odds are i'll just end up being in this same situation tomorrow) But i could really try and buckle down and do the work, and i mighht get it all done. If i do, i pass history, but if i miss one more day of french, i fail french...:frown: that'd suck because i have an A in french, but because of her addendence policy, i can't miss any more class or its an automatic F. So, i'm not sure what to do... I suppose i could stay up and just write three papers, but now its even later... and i'm already exhausted... i can't think... but i don't think i want to retake an entire course.

So, instead of doing anything at all and making any decisions, i decided to waste my time on this post, using the excuse that maybe i could get some advice, although i know darn well that by the time anyone replies i'll probably already have fallen asleep at the computer and still not have made up my mind.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2003 #2
    About 2am you should get a rush of energy to do all of your work. That is what always happend to me at least.... But, here is the first thing you need to do, get off the ****ing internet and stay away from these forums.

4. Oct 26, 2003 #3
    lol, that brings back memeories. Don't you love high school?

Sorry, cant offer much advice. Well, except...are you familiar with the phrase 'half assed'?

Or maybe you have a really awesome mom that loves helping her daughter out?

Either way, I'd say get em done tonight. If that requires passing in complete gibberish, so be it. Take the grade, pass the class. I'd be kicking myself the following semester if i ended up having to repeat a class just cus i didnt want to pass in a bad paper.

5. Oct 26, 2003 #4
    hmm yeah... these forums have made me really adept at procrastination, but thats what i'm trying to do right now. Trying to get work done just lowers my self esteem cause i never actually manage to accomplish anything, but at least when i'm trying to procrastinate, i can be successful.

I'm too tired to care whether i pass or fail or even wake up tomorrow...

6. Oct 26, 2003 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I should go work out. But I'm eating pretzels instead. Hum.

- Warren

7. Oct 26, 2003 #6
    Wow that's interesting warren, truly... too bad thats so completely not helpful in any way.

8. Oct 26, 2003 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:( Well, go work on your paper, I guess.

- Warren

9. Oct 26, 2003 #8
    hahaha, i'm sorry warren... haha, that was so incredibly *****y its amusing...

Anyone interested in writing a history paper?

10. Oct 26, 2003 #9

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

you think it's bad now, just wait till you get into the working world...failing isn't always an option, therefore your motivation level should pick up...

11. Oct 26, 2003 #10
    What is it on Gale? Ive got 2-3 papers you might be interested in...

12. Oct 26, 2003 #11
    Hmmmm...so eager to avoid work that you suddenly develop an interest in politics?

13. Oct 26, 2003 #12
    Also, Your talking to the king of research paper procrastination...

What hour is french? go in for french, leave after french, finish papers then...

One thing you should know is that it will show up on attendance that you only showed up for french and left afterwards... But if your like me, you can talk your way out of anything... Go into your history teacher, level with him, tell him that you were an idiot, and tell him that the last 2 nights were the worst, but you got them done. Also, tell him you learned your lesson, and will not procrastinate again. He will accept your papers.

Last year, i turned in a mid-term paper late for my american history class(which technically should have been counted as a 50%[which would have given me a 'D'), and with the paper i turned in a page long apology. It was great, He ended up reading my apology to the class because it was so well structured in arguement and reasoning... I ended up getting a B in the class, only because i wrote that apology.

You can weasel out of anything, you just have to set your mind to it!

14. Oct 26, 2003 #13
    haha well i'm pretty good at weaseling mattius... all the work i have to do is late work... and he doesn't even accept late work...

and yeah zero... you figure me out... i'm actually reasonably interested in politics all things considered, i just hate sharing my opinions, so i never have before... but as it turns out, its a pretty good way to procrastinate.

The papers are on 1. progressivsm 2. The 'Wild West' and 3. Something about the home front during WWII and how teh gov't got americans to support the effort.

15. Oct 26, 2003 #14
    Meh, that stinks, I know only the basics of your three topics...

But really, i have been in your situation before, and the stakes were just as high... I wish i could say something poetic, but the reality is, your stuck between a rock and a hard place...

At the bare minimum, turn in sh*t on paper, and argue with him if he gives you below 50%... That is, if 50% on these papers is enough for you to pass...

Im sure he gave you an outline of the paper, make sure to have thesis, good grammar, works cited, all the easy stuff, and then use his rubric against him...

16. Oct 26, 2003 #15
    Yeah, better plan.... keep procrastinating until i feel like working again... wake up and go to french first period and hopefully my lack of sleep will have made me so much sicked that they send me home.

heheh ::pats back:: go gale... woot woot

17. Oct 26, 2003 #16

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm. Sorry for being ****ty.

- Warren

18. Oct 26, 2003 #17
    Oh my god! an appology from warren *gasp* hell must have frozen over! hahaha... kidding, love you

19. Oct 26, 2003 #18
    Good luck on your situation, im going to bed

20. Oct 27, 2003 #19
    You still alive?

So, how did the whole thing end up? Did you just go to French and skip the rest of the day? Did you write an apology? Or did you just finish the papers last night (or early morning)?

I hope you didn't do something like I would do and resort to eating rocks. It's really bad for your teeth.

21. Oct 27, 2003 #20
    Yes, where is our beloved Gale17, i sincerely hope she didnt go and do something reckless...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?