Survival of C. elegans in Benign vs. Natural Environments: Vassilieva 2000

• Thread starter amolv06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary, the Biology text Evolutionary Analysis discusses a study by Vassilieva in 2000 which found that survival to sexual maturity decreased in C. elegans that were kept in a benign environment. This suggests that the majority of mutations are deleterious. However, the environment also plays a role in determining the impact of a mutation. The book also cites a study by Nachman and Crowell in 2000 which estimates that 3 out of 175 mutations per generation in humans are deleterious. Overall, the text emphasizes that most mutations are slightly deleterious, but the selection coefficients are generally low.
amolv06
My Biology text, Evolutionary Analysis, claims that survival to sexual maturity decreased in C. elegans that originated from a single progenitor and were kept in a benign environment to decrease selective forces. This is cited from a paper by Vassilieva in 2000. My book claims that this observation indicates that the majority of mutations are deleterious. My question is, if these organisms were kept in a purely benign environment, why would their survivability decrease? Perhaps I am misunderstanding, and the survivability of the descendants of the original progenitor are lower when reintroduced to their natural environment, but my book makes it seem as though it's saying that survivability would decrease even in a benign environment. Perhaps I am just misunderstanding, but any mutations that did decrease survivability in a benign environment should still have selective forces working against them, correct?

Biology news on Phys.org
The majority of mutations are silent, not deleterious. Whether or not a mutation is beneficial, neutral or deleterious also depends on the environment. For instance, Nachman and Crowell [1] estimate that around 3 deleterious mutations out of 175 per generation in humans

[1] Nachman, M. W. and S. L. Crowell. 2000. Estimate of the mutation rate per nucleotide in humans. Genetics 156(1): 297-304.

The text Evolutionary Analysis asserts otherwise. In general it states that the selection coefficients are generally (over 70% of the time) less than .02, (http://www.jstor.org/pss/2640707) but that most mutations are slightly deleterious.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does the survival of C. elegans differ in benign environments compared to natural environments?

The study by Vassilieva (2000) found that C. elegans has a higher survival rate in benign environments due to reduced competition for resources and fewer predators. In natural environments, C. elegans faces more challenges and competition, leading to a lower survival rate.

2. What factors contribute to the survival of C. elegans in natural environments?

Vassilieva (2000) identified several factors that affect the survival of C. elegans in natural environments, including competition for resources, predation, and environmental stressors such as temperature and pH levels.

3. Does the study by Vassilieva (2000) have any implications for the survival of C. elegans in laboratory settings?

Although the study was conducted in natural environments, the findings can also be applied to laboratory settings. C. elegans may have a higher survival rate in controlled laboratory conditions compared to natural environments due to reduced competition and environmental stressors.

4. What are the potential limitations of the study by Vassilieva (2000) in regards to the survival of C. elegans?

One limitation of the study is that it only looked at the survival of C. elegans in two types of environments (benign and natural). Other factors, such as genetic variations and specific environmental conditions, may also play a role in the survival of C. elegans.

5. How can the findings of this study be applied to other organisms and their survival in different environments?

The study by Vassilieva (2000) provides insights into how different environments can affect the survival of organisms. These findings can be applied to other species and their ability to thrive in certain environments, which can have implications for conservation and management strategies.