Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decode this message

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    Will someone tell what does this code say?
    code.png

Sorry for my poor use of free hand tool. All lines to be considered straight.

First character has been drawn bold but it does not matter.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2010 #2
    Hint: This message is one to one correspondance between English alphabets and the alphabets you can see in the shape above.

Sorry, I can't write so long a text so as to be applied to frequency analysis. Anyway the words written are so familiar to you all!

4. May 21, 2010 #3
    If we numbered them from 1 to 11 left to right (one character is repeated), then (if I'm right), you might expect this phrase to be followed with the characters 6, 8, 11.

DaveE

5. May 21, 2010 #4
    For this puzzle, the medium is truly the message.
    Physics Forums

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  6. May 21, 2010 #5
    Jimmy's answer is correct. It would be more interesting if you could find the underlying mechanism to generate these characters. It looks so simple when you know it. Obviously not so simple to guess it first.

7. May 22, 2010 #6
    A-I are from a tic-tac-toe board with the letters in the squares. J-R are the same but with a dot in each square (but the P in physics is missing its dot. S-V are from a diamond that has been cut into 4 pieces and W-Z are the same with dots.

8. May 22, 2010 #7
    I agree that makes sense, but if that's true, then isn't there a mistake in the image? Looks like the "P" is missing a dot.

DaveE

9. May 23, 2010 #8
    It's my mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook