1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decompose the permutation into the direct sum of irreducible reps.

1. May 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Note: I need help with part (c).

Consider the representation [itex]P: S_3 \rightarrow GL_3[/itex] where [itex]P_{\sigma}[/itex] is the permutation matrix associated to [itex]\sigma[/itex].

a) Determine the character [itex]\chi_P : S_3 \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/itex]

b) Find all the irreducible representations of [itex]S_3[/itex].

c) Decompose [itex]P[/itex] into the direct sum of irreducible representations. That is, find a single matrix [itex]Q[/itex] so that [itex]Q^{-1}P_{\sigma}Q[/itex] is block diagonal where the blocks along the diagonal are either [itex]T_{\sigma}[/itex], [itex]\Sigma_{\sigma}[/itex] or [itex]A_{\sigma}[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

Here is my overall progress for the problem:

I let [itex]e[/itex] to be the identity permutation, [itex]x = (1 \ 2 \ 3)[/itex] and [itex]y = (1 \ 2)[/itex]

Then, I let [itex]P_x = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/itex], [itex]P_y = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] and [itex]P_e = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/itex].

The conjugacy classes are as followed:

- [itex]\{e\}[/itex]

- [itex]\{y, xy, yx\}[/itex]

- [itex]\{x, x^2\}[/itex]

The character table shows that:

[itex]\chi (\{e\}) = 3[/itex]

[itex]\chi (\{x, x^2\}) = 0[/itex]

[itex]\chi (\{y, xy, yx\}) = 1[/itex]

By the theorem I have applied, I have found three representations, which is congruent to the number of conjugacy classes. They are:

- trivial representation [itex]T[/itex]
    - sign representation [itex]\Sigma[/itex]
    - two-dimensional representation [itex]A[/itex], presented as the symmetries of equilateral triangle

The sum of their dimensions corresponds to the theorem I applied:

[itex]d_1^2 + d_2^2 + d_3^2 = |S_3| = 6[/itex]

The only possibility for equality to hold is [itex]d_1 = d_2 = 1[/itex] and [itex]d_3 = 2[/itex].

Another character table shows that:

[itex]\chi_T (\{e\}) = 1[/itex]

[itex]\chi_T (\{x, x^2\}) = 1[/itex]

[itex]\chi_T (\{y, yx, xy\}) = 1[/itex]

[itex]\chi_A (\{e\}) = 2[/itex]

[itex]\chi_A (\{x, x^2\}) = -1[/itex]

[itex]\chi_A (\{y, xy, yx\}) = 0[/itex]

[itex]\chi_{\Sigma} (\{e\}) = 1[/itex]

[itex]\chi_{\Sigma} (\{x, x^2\}) = 1[/itex]

[itex]\chi_{\Sigma} (\{y, yx, xy\}) = -1[/itex]

Finally, I need to determine [itex]Q[/itex] for [itex]Q^{-1}P_xQ = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -1/2 & -\sqrt{3}/2 \\ 0 & \sqrt{3}/2 & -1/2 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] and [itex]Q^{-1}P_yQ = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -1 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] We need to find the basis for [itex]\mathbb{R}^4[/itex].

I know that [itex]u = \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] is one of the vectors in the basis. That is because we want to find the vector [itex]u[/itex] such that [itex]P_xu = u[/itex] and [itex]P_yu = u[/itex].

Then, I need to find the remaining two vectors for the basis. Here is the hardest part. I attempt to find the vectors, say [itex]v[/itex] and [itex]w[/itex], but I can't find the nonzero basis. Here is what I have:

[itex]P_xv = w[/itex]

[itex]P_yv = v[/itex]

[itex]P_xw = -v[/itex]

[itex]P_yw = -w[/itex]

Here is what I have:

[itex]v = \begin{bmatrix} a \\ b \\ c\end{bmatrix} \rightarrow w = \begin{bmatrix} c \\ a \\ b\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

[itex]v = \begin{bmatrix} a \\ b \\ c\end{bmatrix} \rightarrow v = \begin{bmatrix} b \\ a \\ c\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

[itex]w = \begin{bmatrix} c \\ a \\ b\end{bmatrix} \rightarrow -v = \begin{bmatrix} b \\ c \\ a\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

[itex]w = \begin{bmatrix} c \\ a \\ b\end{bmatrix} \rightarrow -w = \begin{bmatrix} a \\ c \\ b\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

From here, I can't determine what are the nonzero vectors for [itex]Q[/itex].

Any advices or comments?

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?