1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decomposing a Function

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is this: "Find a linear function f such that (f o f)(x) = 4x + 3.

2. Relevant equations
    The only hint I've received is "write f(x) = ax + b, and use the given equation to find a and b."

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been staring at this thing for almost half an hour now. I'm most confused because I need to find an equation that when composed with itself equals 4x + 3.

I've tried to solve for a and b by substituing the 4 and 3 from the final equation as the various variables (a, x, and b), but all those solutions have left me with nothing useful. I also don't understand how I am supposed to solve for a and b when I only have one equation.

I obviously don't want the entire solution printed for me, but believe me, I have tried and I cannot get past this problem. Even just a little tip would be great, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, stop staring and start doing! That's the key to mathematics- just staring at a problem does not cause the answer to suddenly pop into your head (and certainly not on your paper!).

You say you tried "substituting the 4 and 3 from the final equation as the various variables (a, x, and b) but there is no point in doing that. There is no reason to think that a and b will be the same as the coefficients for the final equation and they certainly won't be "x". Plugging numbers in at random is no better a method of solving a math problem than staring at the paper!

What is a good method is thinking about the definiton of the thing you are working with. If f(x)= ax+ b, what is f o f(x)? I assume you know that f o f(x)= f(f(x)). If f(x)= ax+ b, then f(f(x))= f(ax+ b)= a(ax+ b)+ b. Now set that equal to 4x+ 3 and solve for a and b.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?