Decompose SL(2C) Matrix: Real Parameters from Complex

In summary: This can also be generalized to group elements, where it is called the Cartan decomposition. In summary, the conversation discusses the decomposition of a SL(2C) matrix into a rotation and boost using different parameters. It is mentioned that this decomposition can be seen as a polar decomposition or a Malcev decomposition. The conversation also touches on the applications of this decomposition in Lie algebras and groups.
DrDu
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
How can an SL(2,C) matrix be decomposed into a product of a boost along the z-axis and a pure rotation?
Hi,

suppose I am given an SL(2C) matrix of the form ##\exp(i\alpha/2 \vec{t}\cdot\vec{\sigma})## where ##\alpha## is the complex rotation angle, ##\vec{t}## the complex rotation axis and ##\vec{\sigma}## the vector of the three Pauli matrices.
I would like to decompose this vector into ##\exp(i\beta/2 \vec{q}\cdot\vec{\sigma})\exp(\gamma\sigma_z)##, where now the rotation angle ##\beta##, axis ##\vec{q}## and the boost parameter ##\gamma## are all real.
Is there a non-brain damaged way to do this? This isn't homework related.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a thought, and maybe a silly one as I think in terms of algebra and less in terms of physics.
##\vec{t}\cdot\vec{\sigma}## is a complex number, hence ##\exp(i\alpha/2 \vec{t}\cdot\vec{\sigma})## is of the form ##e^{x+iy}=e^x\cdot e^{iy}##. In case ##\vec{t}\cdot\vec{\sigma}## is real, which I assume, then ##\beta =2\alpha /(\vec{t}\cdot\vec{\sigma}), \gamma =0## and ##\vec{q}## any vector such that ##\vec{q}\cdot\vec{\sigma}=1.##

Hi fresh, thank you. No, t sigma is not real. I now saw that my initial assumption is incorrect. You can't decompose a general Lorentz transformation into a boost along the z axis and a rotation. However, you can decompose it into a boost (along a direction which has to be determined) and a rotation. This is in principle a polar decomposition. I found some information in be book by Sexl and Urbantke.

I'm not sure, but couldn't one write down the series of the matrix exponential and somehow sort out the real and imaginary parts?

DrDu said:
Hi fresh, thank you. No, t sigma is not real. I now saw that my initial assumption is incorrect. You can't decompose a general Lorentz transformation into a boost along the z axis and a rotation. However, you can decompose it into a boost (along a direction which has to be determined) and a rotation. This is in principle a polar decomposition. I found some information in be book by Sexl and Urbantke.
This all sounds like the decomposition of a matrix into its toral (diagonalizable) and nilpotent (upper triangular) part. Within Lie algebras it is called Malcev decomposition or Jordan-Chevalley. I asssume the latter holds for groups, too.

Likes dextercioby
Of course, but this wouldn't provide much insight.
fresh_42 said:
This all sounds like the decomposition of a matrix into its toral (diagonalizable) and nilpotent (upper triangular) part. Within Lie algebras it is called Malcev decomposition or Jordan-Chevalley. I asssume the latter holds for groups, too.
Yes, it is similar. In this case it is the polar decomposition, i.e. the decomposition of a normal matrix into the product of a hermitian and a unitary one.

Likes vanhees71

1. What does it mean to decompose a SL(2C) matrix?

Decomposing a SL(2C) matrix means breaking it down into simpler components that are easier to analyze and understand. In this case, we are breaking down a complex matrix into its real parameters.

2. Why is decomposing a SL(2C) matrix important?

Decomposing a SL(2C) matrix is important because it allows us to simplify complex calculations and make them more manageable. It also helps us gain a deeper understanding of the matrix and its properties.

3. What are the real parameters of a SL(2C) matrix?

The real parameters of a SL(2C) matrix are the values that make up the matrix's real part. These parameters include the real and imaginary coefficients of the matrix's elements.

4. How do you decompose a SL(2C) matrix into its real parameters?

To decompose a SL(2C) matrix into its real parameters, we use a process called diagonalization. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, which can then be used to construct a diagonal matrix with the real parameters on the diagonal.

5. What are the applications of decomposing a SL(2C) matrix?

The decomposition of a SL(2C) matrix has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to solve differential equations, analyze quantum systems, and perform transformations in computer graphics. It also has applications in signal processing and image compression.