Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decomposition of Double Sum

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    Hey folks,

I'm trying to show that [tex]\sum_{m,n=-\infty}^\infty '(n^2+a^2m^2)^{-s}=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty 'n^{-2s}+\sum_{m=-\infty}^\infty'\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty(n^2+a^2m^2)^{-s}[/tex]. The prime means that we don't include the m=n=0 term.

Has anyone seen this relation? Is it standard?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2
    Are you sure this is the correct relation? Or is it like this:

[tex]\sum_{m,n=-\infty}^\infty '(n^2+a^2m^2)^{-s}=-\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty 'n^{-2s}+\sum_{m=-\infty}^\infty \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty '(n^2+a^2m^2)^{-s}[/tex]
  4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    Hey Rainbow,

Its from a paper so its possible there was a typo in the preprint. Do you know the steps for your version? That would probably help me.

5. Feb 16, 2008 #4
    aaaah....thats simple actually, so yes you are probably correct, the extra term is just the m=0 term. lol.
  6. Feb 16, 2008 #5
    I hope that's correct! Or else we are both missing something! :smile:
    What was the paper about?
  7. Feb 16, 2008 #6
    It's just splitting the m-sum into m=0 and m != 0, for the m=0 part you have to sum over all inteegers n != 0, if m != 0 there is no such restriction on the value of n ...
  8. Feb 16, 2008 #7
    Its a dimensional regularization process. Are you familiar with calculations of one loop vacuum energy in extra dimensions? Its a sweet little paper on how to do it in a T^2/Z^2 orbifold. I've been working on it all week and its all clicking into place nicely.
  9. Feb 16, 2008 #8
    Loop gravity! Nice subject, although not my favorite one! :smile:

Good luck with the calculations, as I can remember from the regularization in QFT, one mistake makes everything look like Chinese! :rofl:
  10. Feb 16, 2008 #9
    Your not wrong there!

Thanks again for the brain jolt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?