How does concentration and stirring affect decomposition potential?

In summary, the decomposition potential is affected by the concentration of sulphuric acid electrolyte and stirring. This is because the increase in acid concentration and stirring can reduce the concentration polarization, which in turn affects the overpotential in the decomposition reaction.
Reimu

Homework Statement

Decomposition potential can be affected by the concentration of sulphuric acid electrolyte and whether there is stirring. Explain how they affects.

Homework Equations

ED = Ecathode - Eanode + ɳ
where ɳ is the overpotential

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that the decomposition potential here is referred to the experimental decomposition potential since overpotential is involved.
Also, I think that the increase in concentration of the acid reduces the concentration polarisation same goes for stirring but I'm not sure whether I'm correct and I need help in linking back to decomposition potential

Last edited:
Decomposition of WHAT? Can you write a reaction for the decomposition? Where in that reaction might sulfuric acid (or some species derived from sulfuric acid) appear, or have an effect?

What is decomposition potential?

Decomposition potential is a measure of the likelihood that a substance or material will break down or decompose into simpler components over time.

How is decomposition potential measured?

Decomposition potential is typically measured through laboratory experiments that simulate environmental conditions in which the substance or material would break down, such as exposure to sunlight, water, or microorganisms.

What factors affect decomposition potential?

The main factors that affect decomposition potential include the chemical composition and structure of the substance, as well as environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and the presence of other substances or organisms.

Why is understanding decomposition potential important?

Understanding decomposition potential can help scientists and environmentalists determine the potential impact of a substance on the environment, as well as develop strategies for managing and disposing of materials in a more sustainable manner.

Can decomposition potential change over time?

Yes, decomposition potential can change over time as environmental conditions or the chemical structure of the substance may change. For example, a substance may have a higher decomposition potential when exposed to a certain temperature or pH level compared to when it is in a different environment.