Decomposition Rxn: (NH4)2CO3 → 2NH3 + H2O + CO2

In summary, the given reaction is a decomposition reaction with (NH4)2CO3 as the reactant and 2NH3, H2O, and CO2 as the products. This type of reaction commonly occurs with small and stable molecules being the decomposition products. The expected decomposition products may vary depending on the specific reactants involved.
Sace Ver
1. Homework Statement
(NH4)2CO3 = 2NH3 + H2O + CO2

Homework Equations

Decomposition Rxn

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure why this reaction occurred can someone please explain it to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you elaborate on what you find confusing here?

Sace Ver said:
1. Homework Statement
(NH4)2CO3 = 2NH3 + H2O + CO2

Homework Equations

Decomposition Rxn

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure why this reaction occurred can someone please explain it to me.
Why did it decompose the way it did?

Small, very stable molecules are the common decomposition products. Does it help?

What makes you think this is strange? What other decomposition products have you expected?

What is a decomposition reaction?

A decomposition reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which a compound breaks down into simpler substances. This can happen through various processes such as heat, light, or the presence of a catalyst.

What is the chemical equation for the decomposition reaction (NH4)2CO3 → 2NH3 + H2O + CO2?

The chemical equation for this decomposition reaction is (NH4)2CO3 → 2NH3 + H2O + CO2. This means that one molecule of ammonium carbonate breaks down into two molecules of ammonia, one molecule of water, and one molecule of carbon dioxide.

What are the products of this decomposition reaction?

The products of this decomposition reaction are two molecules of ammonia (NH3), one molecule of water (H2O), and one molecule of carbon dioxide (CO2).

What are the reactants of this decomposition reaction?

The reactant of this decomposition reaction is one molecule of ammonium carbonate ((NH4)2CO3).

What is the purpose of this decomposition reaction?

The purpose of this decomposition reaction is to break down the compound ammonium carbonate into its simpler components, which can then be used for other reactions or processes.