Deconstructing Björk's Isobel

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning behind Björk's song "Isobel" and its accompanying video. The group shares their interpretations, with some seeing it as a metaphor for technology and others seeing it as a commentary on city life. They also discuss the name Isobel and its possible meanings. Additionally, they touch on cultural differences and how they may influence different interpretations of the song.
eNtRopY
Deconstructing Björk's "Isobel"

I think my favorite Björk video is Isobel. However, I must admit, I have some difficulty fully understanding the meaning of this song.

:: Isobel Lyrics

In a forest pitch-dark
Glowed the tiniest spark
It burst into a flame
Like me, like me

My name Isobel
Married to myself
My love Isobel
Living by herself

In a heart full of dust
Lives a creature called lust
It surprises and scares
Like me,like me

My name Isobel
Married to myself
My love Isobel
Living by herself

Crawling in silence
A simple excuse
Nana na nana, nana na nana
Nana na nana, nana na nana

In a tower of steel
Nature forges a deal
To raise wonderful hell
Like me, like me

My name Isobel
Married to myself
My love Isobel
Living by herself

Crawling in silence
A simple excuse
Nana na nana, nana na nana X6

Here is a link to the video: http://www.bjork.com/videogallery/ .

Tell me your interpretation.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My own interpretation of this piece is that Isobel represents the Björk's child-like nature. In the video, you see useless technology sprouting from the Earth as if it were growing like weeds. I believe this is Björk's interpration of technology. She doesn't know how advanced devices are made, for all she knows they sprout from the ground. But frankly, she doesn't see how they benefit for mankind, and I think from this simplisitic perspective, she has a good point. What good have war-machines ever done any of us? What good has industrialized society done for us?

Of course my interpretation my be entirely off. Let me know what you think.

eNtRopY

Well, I haven't seen the video or heard the song, but when I read the lyrics you provided.. I would believe the song is about mastrubation?

The forest, pubic hair, the tiny little spark.. clitoris.. burst into flame.. orgasm.. married to herself.. mastrubation.. crawling in silence, little excuse.. same thing.. tower of steel.. the you know what?

Anyway, that is my little interpretation

Originally posted by Monique
Well, I haven't seen the video or heard the song, but when I read the lyrics you provided.. I would believe the song is about mastrubation?

The forest, pubic hair, the tiny little spark.. clitoris.. burst into flame.. orgasm.. married to herself.. mastrubation.. crawling in silence, little excuse.. same thing.. tower of steel.. the you know what?

You pervert!

Hmmm... interesting theory. I suppose the lyrics do seem a bit sexually suggestive. I would like to know how the little airplanes sprouting from the ground, hatching from lighbulbs, and flying away like insects fit into this picture.

Watch the video and tell me. I have posted a link to QuickTime video above.

eNtRopY

If you've seen the documentary about her, she explains that song.

It's about a girl who mentally locks herself from all the buzz in the city, who builds her own little tower outside from it, in the forest. She tells it's about how a small part of her felt she needed to lock herself alittle from all the buzz in the city, wereas she was from a very silent and naturistic place like iceland.

The documentary is with comments by Elton John, Missy Eliot, Sean Penn among others.

Originally posted by pace
It's about a girl who mentally locks herself from all the buzz in the city, who builds her own little tower outside from it, in the forest. She tells it's about how a small part of her felt she needed to lock herself alittle from all the buzz in the city, wereas she was from a very silent and naturistic place like iceland.

What city? Certainly not Reykjavik. Are you talking about metropolitan life in general? Why is the city growing from the Earth in the video? Why is her name Isobel?

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
What city? Certainly not Reykjavik. Are you talking about metropolitan life in general? Why is the city growing from the Earth in the video? Why is her name Isobel?

eNtRopY

If I'm not remembering wrong, the name means something of an outsider or someone that is 'locked out'(or was it 'frozen'?). The city Bjørk lived in at that time was London I think. At the time she worked at the Post record she was working with Goldie and other english underground artists.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Zero
You pervert!

Why? It only started to make sense to me at 'married to myself' :smile:

Anyway, I didn't see the video or hear the song so that explains a lot, sorry!

Why? It only started to make sense to me at 'married to myself' :smile:

Anyway, I didn't see the video or hear the song so that explains a lot, sorry!

Well, she's Dutch... and you know how much the Dutch think about getting off... I can only say that since I am 1/4 Dutch by ancestory... I think that's the part of me that makes me a little perverted as well.

eNtRopY

Why? Because of the language I used? The Dutch are very open about issues like that so don't be surprised :)

Dutch is open about sex, Americans about violence.

Originally posted by pace
Dutch is open about sex, Americans about violence.

I would suggest rather that Americans are open about competition. I have never come across any culture as competitive as the American culture. You see, if you would spend any time in America, you would learn that the emphasis is on the winning not on the hurting. Of course, when you take competition to the extreme, things can become quite violent quite fast.

Also, like I've stated before, Americans are more motivated by money than any other culture. Hell, we'd kill 10,000 Iraqi babies if we thought it would help our economy.

eNtRopY

Sorry, but you don't win much in sports though?

Another thing, I've heard you have really few vacations, like our summer holiday we get like 3 weeks ordinary and you get almost none?

Last edited:
I guess sporting is as much dwelling into a thing as competition though. If you're competitious in all parts of life you certainly gotto be much more of an competitious soul yes? :smile:

Yes, and did you know that Americans get only a month (maybe two) time off when the mom delivers a baby? In Europe it must be close to a full year right?

Originally posted by eNtRopY
Hell, we'd kill 10,000 Iraqi babies if we thought it would help our economy.

eNtRopY

Ouch. I don't support such actions, but I fear that you may be right. Of course, no one really wants to believe that this is what happens.

Yes, and did you know that Americans get only a month (maybe two) time off when the mom delivers a baby? In Europe it must be close to a full year right?

Something like that I think.

1. What is the meaning behind the lyrics of "Isobel"?

The lyrics of "Isobel" are open to interpretation but many people believe it is about a woman's journey towards self-discovery and independence. The use of nature imagery and references to Norse mythology add to the mystical and introspective nature of the song.

2. How does Björk's use of instruments contribute to the overall meaning of "Isobel"?

Björk's use of instruments in "Isobel" is meant to create a dreamlike and ethereal atmosphere. The combination of strings, electronic beats, and her unique vocal style all work together to convey the sense of a journey and transformation in the song.

3. Is there a specific reason for the repetition of certain words in the song?

Yes, the repetition of words like "surrender" and "gravity" in the chorus of "Isobel" is intentional. It adds to the hypnotic and trance-like quality of the song, emphasizing the theme of letting go and embracing change.

4. Can you explain the significance of the music video for "Isobel"?

The music video for "Isobel" was directed by Michel Gondry and it reflects the themes of the song by depicting a journey through various surreal and otherworldly landscapes. It also features Björk in different forms, representing the different stages of her journey.

5. How does "Isobel" compare to Björk's other songs in terms of style and themes?

"Isobel" is a departure from Björk's usual electronic and experimental sound, incorporating more orchestral and folk elements. In terms of themes, it shares similarities with her other songs in its exploration of identity, nature, and spirituality, but it stands out as a unique and introspective piece in her discography.