1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decoupling ODEs

1. Sep 21, 2005 #1
    In order to solve this pde that I'm on, I must solve this system of odes, [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = -y [/tex] and [tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = x [/tex] , which doesn't look bad, but I haven't had a second semester of ode yet where systems of differential equations are covered. How is this solved?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

-The solutions are well known functions.
    -There exist EODE class that does not cover linear systems in one semester?
    If decoupling the odes is what you whant to do just solve for each variable (trivial) and substitute one into the other.
    Now as for finding soulutions I heard somewhere that some special functions having something to do with cirlces and triangles has something to do with it.
    Also be aware you have introduced extraneous solutions so eliminate them be substituting into the original equation.
  4. Sep 21, 2005 #3
    Ok I think we did. I'm just slow I guess. Maybe I should just not be so quick to ask questions and actually THINK. Sorry I should have recognized the two odes.:grumpy: Simple substitution! I don't know why I was thinking laplace transformations.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?