1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decreasing function

1. Sep 2, 2006 #1
    Now what should I look up to understand a question like this one:

Function h is decreasing on the interval [4,infinity) and lim h(x)(with x approaching infinity)=8, what would be the limit g'(x)(with x approaching infinity)?

I don't nessicarily need the answer, but could someone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Earlier you asked about a function g that was simply decreasing and were told that you cannot say anything about the derivative as x went to infinity except that it would be non-negative (the limit could be 0).

Is this a revision of that problem? If so, it is a good revision. (I won't make any remark about not being able to find g' from information about h!) The difference now is that h goes to a constant as x goes to infinity- that's more important than "decreasing". Given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there must exist a "neighborhood of infinity" (interval [itex](a, \infty)[/itex]) on which h(x) differs less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex] from 8. What does that tell you about the derivative of h?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?