Question: Can the Decreasing Sequence be Proven Using Different Methods?

In summary: Yes, you can prove the sequence is decreasing by showing that the ratio between consecutive terms is less than 1. This can be done by taking the derivative of the expression and showing that it is negative for all values of k. Alternatively, you can use the binomial theorem to expand the expression and show that it is decreasing. Both methods are valid and will lead to the same result.
murshid_islam
i have to prove that the sequence {ak} is decreasing, where
[tex]\{a_k\} = \{\left({1+\frac{1}{k}}\right)^{-k}\}[/tex]

this is what i did:

[tex]a_k = {\left(\frac{k}{k+1}}\right)^k[/tex]

[tex]a_{k+1}-a_{k}[/tex]

[tex]= {\left(\frac{k+1}{k+2}}\right)^{k+1}-{\left(\frac{k}{k+1}}\right)}^{k}[/tex]

[tex]= {\left(\frac{1+\frac{1}{k}}{1+\frac{2}{k}}}\right)^{k+1}-{\left(\frac{k}{k+1}}\right)^{k}[/tex]

[tex]< {\left(\frac{1+\frac{1}{k}}{1+\frac{1}{k}}}\right)^{k+1}-{\left(\frac{k}{k+1}}\right)^{k}[/tex]

[tex]= 1 - \left({\frac{k}{k+1}}\right)^{k}[/tex]

[tex]< 1-1[/tex] since [tex]\left({\frac{k}{k+1}}\right)^{k} < 1[/tex]

therefore, [tex]a_{k+1}-a_{k} < 0[/tex]

therefore, the sequence is decreasing.

am i right?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hmm..no
The RATIO between the terms should be less than 1, not the DIFFERENCE!
The difference should be less than 0

Suppose we take the sequence 1/2, 1/2, 1/2.

ak+1 - ak = 0 < 1.

Therefore, the sequence is decreasing :P

arildno said:
Hmm..no
The RATIO between the terms should be less than 1, not the DIFFERENCE!
The difference should be less than 0
ok, i made a stupid mistake. i have edited my proof. is it correct now?

Last edited:
No, it is not.
The reason is that since the last fraction is LESS than 1, the DIFFERENCE between 1 and the fraction is GREATER than the difference between 1 and 1.
Your first bound is too crude to derive the result.

Last edited:
I suggest the following:

Put the expression under the form of e^f(k). The derivative of that expression would be e^f(k) * f'(k). Knowing that e^f(k) is positive for k sufficiently large, find the sign that f'(k) assumes for an also sufficiently k. If the sign is negative, the expression e^f(k) * f'(k) is negative for this value of k and beyond, and you have proven that e^f(k) is decreasing.

Edit: you will find f(k) = ln (1 + 1/k) * - k. If y = ln (1 + 1/k), y' = -1/k(k+1) and f'(k) = -ky' - y = 1/(k+1) - ln (1 + 1/k).

Now (unfortunatly), this is not relevant. We are confronted to another inequality, ln (1 + 1/k) > 1/(k+1).

Sorry that I've wasted so much time... maybe the second inequality would help, but I doubt it. To compensate I'll give you another proof , we have:

(1+1/k)^k is increasing, for

[tex] (1+1/n)^{n} = 1 + n\frac{1}{n} + \frac{1}{2!}(1-\frac{1}{n})+ ... + \frac{1}{n!}(1 - \frac{1}{n})(1 - \frac{2}{n})...(1 - \frac{n-1}{n}) [/tex].

This is simply by using the binominial theorem. Now if,

[tex]S_n = 1 + n\frac{1}{n} + \frac{1}{2!}(1-\frac{1}{n})+ ... + \frac{1}{n!}(1 - \frac{1}{n})(1 - \frac{2}{n})...(1 - \frac{n-1}{n}) [/tex],

then S_m > S_n. Since (1+1/m)^m = S_m + ..., then (1+1/m)^m > (1+1/n)^n

and

(1+1/m)^-m < (1+1/n)^-n

Thus the expression is decreasing. It should be noted that this is only a proof for integrer values of n.

Last edited:
Werg22 said:
you will find f(k) = - ln (1 + 1/k) * k. You have y = ln (1 + 1/k), y' = ln k/(1 + 1/k)
is it correct?
if [tex]y = \ln\left(1+\frac{1}{x}\right)[/tex] then i get [tex]y' = \frac{-1}{x(x+1)}[/tex]

Last edited:
is there any way to prove that the sequence is decreasing the way i started?

Last edited:
murshid_islam said:
is it correct?
if [tex]y = \ln\left(1+\frac{1}{x}\right)[/tex] then i get [tex]y' = \frac{-1}{x(x+1)}[/tex]

Wait, wait, wait, my proof is erroneous. [tex]y = \ln\left(1+\frac{1}{x}\right)[/tex] then [tex]y' = \frac{-1}{x(x+1)}[/tex]

You are correct. I'll edit my proof right now.

Last edited:
is there any way to prove the sequesnce is decreasing by one of the following:
[tex]a_{k+1}-a_k < 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a_{k+1}}{a_k} < 1[/tex]

[tex]f'(k) < 0[/tex]

1. What is a decreasing sequence?

A decreasing sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is smaller than the previous one, or in other words, the sequence is decreasing as it progresses.

2. How do you prove that a sequence is decreasing?

To prove that a sequence is decreasing, you need to show that each term in the sequence is smaller than the previous one. This can be done by using mathematical induction or by directly comparing each term to the previous one.

3. What is the importance of proving a sequence is decreasing?

Proving that a sequence is decreasing is important because it allows us to make certain conclusions about the behavior of the sequence, such as finding its limit or determining if it is convergent or divergent.

4. Can a sequence be both increasing and decreasing?

No, a sequence cannot be both increasing and decreasing at the same time. However, a sequence can be non-increasing (where each term is either equal to or smaller than the previous one) or non-decreasing (where each term is either equal to or larger than the previous one).

5. What are some common techniques used in proving a sequence is decreasing?

Some common techniques used in proving a sequence is decreasing include mathematical induction, direct comparison, and using the definition of a decreasing sequence (where each term is smaller than the previous one). Other techniques may also involve using calculus, such as the first or second derivative test.