Proving Existence and Uniqueness of Cut C for A+C=B

In summary: B and a∈\mathbb{Q}-A. Then, x=(a+b)-a=b∈B. Therefore, A+C⊆B. Hence, A+C=B, which proves the existence of the cut C.Uniqueness:Suppose there exist two cuts C and C' such that C≠C' and C is a subset of C'. Then, there exists an element x∈C' that is not in C. Since C is a cut, x is the largest element of C'. But since C' is also a cut, it cannot have a largest element. This is a contradiction. Similarly, we can show that C' is not a subset of C.
jawad1

Homework Statement

Show that for any two Dedekind cuts A,B, there exists a unique cut C such that A+C=B

2. The attempt at a solution

In order to prove this, I need to prove the existence and uniqueness of such a cut.

For the existence, I started by considering a cut for which this works: C={b-a, b \in B, a \in \mathbb{Q}-A} but I am having trouble showing it is a cut.

For the uniqueness, I want to consider two cuts C and C' such that C≠C' and I wanted to show that C is not a subset of C' and C' is not a subset of C. However, could someone help me to prove this ?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your post. I will now provide a proof for the existence and uniqueness of the cut C that satisfies the given condition.

Existence:
Let A and B be two Dedekind cuts. We will construct the cut C={b-a, b\in B, a\in \mathbb{Q}-A}. First, we will show that C is a cut.
1. Non-emptiness: Since A and B are cuts, there exist rational numbers a and b such that a∈A and b∈B. Then, b-a∈C, which proves that C is non-empty.
2. Closure under subtraction: Let c∈C and d∈\mathbb{Q} be such that d<c. Since c=b-a for some b∈B and a∈\mathbb{Q}-A, we have d<b and d>a. Since A is a cut, d∈A. Thus, d∈\mathbb{Q}-A and b-d∈C. Therefore, C is closed under subtraction.
3. No largest element: Suppose there exists a largest element, c∈C. Then, c=b-a for some b∈B and a∈\mathbb{Q}-A. But since A is a cut, there exists a rational number d such that a<d and d∈A. Then, d∈\mathbb{Q}-A and b-d∈C. But b-d<c, which contradicts the assumption that c is the largest element. Therefore, C has no largest element.
4. No smallest element: Similarly, we can show that C has no smallest element.
Therefore, C is a cut.

Now, we will show that A+C=B.
Let x∈B. Since B is a cut, there exists a rational number b such that b>x and b∈B. Then, b-x∈\mathbb{Q}-A and b-x∈C. Therefore, x+(b-x)=b∈A+C. This shows that B⊆A+C.

Now, let x∈A+C. Then, x=a+c for some a∈A and c∈C. Since C={b-a, b∈B, a∈\mathbb{Q}-A}, we have c=b-a for some b

What does "proving existence and uniqueness of cut C for A+C=B" mean?

"Proving existence and uniqueness of cut C for A+C=B" refers to the mathematical concept of finding a subset of the real numbers, represented by the symbol C, that satisfies the equation A+C=B. This subset, or "cut," must be both unique and exist for the equation to hold true.

Why is proving existence and uniqueness of cut C important?

Proving the existence and uniqueness of cut C is important because it allows us to prove the existence and uniqueness of solutions to equations involving real numbers. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in many different fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

How is the existence and uniqueness of cut C proven?

The existence and uniqueness of cut C is typically proven using mathematical techniques such as proof by contradiction, mathematical induction, or the well-ordering principle. These methods allow us to logically show that C must exist and be unique for the equation A+C=B to hold true.

What are the applications of proving existence and uniqueness of cut C?

Proving the existence and uniqueness of cut C has a wide range of applications in mathematics, science, and engineering. It is used to solve equations involving real numbers, prove the existence of solutions to differential equations, and establish the uniqueness of mathematical models in various fields.

Are there any limitations to proving existence and uniqueness of cut C?

While proving the existence and uniqueness of cut C is a powerful tool in mathematics, it does have limitations. It may not be applicable to all equations or mathematical models, and in some cases, alternative methods may be needed to prove the existence and uniqueness of solutions.