Proving the Addition of Dedekind Cuts

• Thread starter hitmeoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary, the problem states that if a dedekind cut is a cut whereby the sets on the left side of the cut and the right side of the cut would contain all the rational numbers then the cut itself is an irrational number right? If you add to irrationals don't you get another irrational number, thereby having another cut where the LH U RH still contains all the rationals? Have you checked the three properties (non-empty, closed below, and has no greatest rational element)? How is addition of Dedekind cuts defined?
hitmeoff

Homework Statement

Show that if [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are Dedekind cuts then so is [tex]\alpha[/tex] + [tex]\beta[/tex]={r1+r2: r1 [tex]\epsilon[/tex] [tex]\alpha[/tex] and r2[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]\beta[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If a dedekind cut is a cut whereby the sets on the left side of the cut and the right side of the cut would contain all the rational numbers then the cut itself is an irrational number right? If you add to irrationals don't you get another irrational number, thereby having another cut where the LH U RH still contains all the rationals?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked the three properties (non-empty, closed below, and has no greatest rational element)?

How is addition of Dedekind cuts defined?

Not sure, the question was stated as I wrote it.

And this part: [tex]\alpha[/tex] + [tex]\beta[/tex]={r1+r2: r1 [tex]\epsilon[/tex] [tex]\alpha[/tex] and r2[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]\beta[/tex]

throws me off... is this to say that alpha is the left hand set and beta the right hand set (or vice-versa) else I am not sure what they mean by r1 in Alpha and r2 in Beta. I thought the alpha and beta's were the actual cuts?

hitmeoff said:
im not sure what they mean by r1 in Alpha and r2 in Beta
What is the definition of a Dedekind cut?

Its a "cut" that separates all rationals into two sets and has the props:

1. The sets are non-empty
2. Every rational is in one set or the other
3. Every number in the Left set is less than every number in the Right set.

So is the question stating that Alpha is on set and beta is the other set? If so then I don't know what the mean by Alpha + Beta?

If that is the definition of Dedekind cut your book uses, then something is very wrong in the statement of your homework problem. What exactly was asked?

Oh, FYI, there is another commonly used definition of Dedekind cut. As compared to your definition, this other definition defines a Dedekind cut as being the left-hand set.

I.E. if (L,R) is a your-Dedekind cut, then L is an other-Dedekind cut. Conversely, if L is an other-Dedekind cut, then (L, Q-L) is a your-Dedekind cut.

Your originally stated problem makes sense with this definition.

Hurkyl said:
Oh, FYI, there is another commonly used definition of Dedekind cut. As compared to your definition, this other definition defines a Dedekind cut as being the left-hand set.

I.E. if (L,R) is a your-Dedekind cut, then L is an other-Dedekind cut. Conversely, if L is an other-Dedekind cut, then (L, Q-L) is a your-Dedekind cut.Your originally stated problem makes sense with this definition.

ok, now the problem makes all kinds of sense.

So let [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] be dedekind cuts.

WLG [tex]\alpha[/tex] [tex]\subseteq[/tex] [tex]\beta[/tex]

[tex]\forall[/tex]r1 [tex]\epsilon[/tex] [tex]\alpha[/tex] and r2 [tex]\epsilon[/tex] [tex]\beta[/tex] r1+r2[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]\beta[/tex] which, by definition has no largest rational?

Note: Damn it, this only works if we are talking about the righ-hand set. Then I don't get how r1 + r2 [tex]\epsilon[/tex] beta and be guaranteed not to have a largest rational since r1 and r2 could be rational elements and this set is bounded above

Last edited:
hitmeoff said:
ok, now the problem makes all kinds of sense.

So let [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] be dedekind cuts.

WLG [tex]\alpha[/tex] [tex]\subseteq[/tex] [tex]\beta[/tex]

[tex]\forall[/tex]r1 [tex]\epsilon[/tex] [tex]\alpha[/tex] and r2 [tex]\epsilon[/tex] [tex]\beta[/tex] r1+r2[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]\beta[/tex] which, by definition has no largest rational?

Note: Damn it, this only works if we are talking about the righ-hand set. Then I don't get how r1 + r2 [tex]\epsilon[/tex] beta and be guaranteed not to have a largest rational since r1 and r2 could be rational elements and this set is bounded above
You don't need to get "r1 + r2 [tex]\epsilon[/tex] beta " and that is not necessarily true. All you need to do is show that [itex]\{ r_1+ r_2| r_\in \alpha, r_2\in \beta\}[/itex] is a cut.

You need to prove:
1) It is non-empty.
2) There is some rational number that is not in it.
3) If x is in the cut and y is not then x< y.
4) It contains no largest number.

The first three are pretty simple. To prove the fourth, by contradiction, suppose it were not true. That is, suppose there exist r which is the largest member of this set. Then there exist [itex]r_1\in \alpha[/itex] and [itex]r_2\in \beta[/itex] such that [itex]r_1+ r_2= r[/itex]. Now use the fact that [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] have no largest member.

(I apologize for my first response. I misread the question and didn't realize that you were defining "[itex]\alpha+ \beta[/itex]".)

1. What is the concept of Dedekind cuts?

Dedekind cuts are a mathematical tool used to construct the real numbers from the rational numbers. They are essentially a way to partition the rational numbers into two subsets, representing the numbers that are less than and greater than a given real number.

2. How do Dedekind cuts help prove the addition of real numbers?

Dedekind cuts provide a way to define and represent real numbers, which allows for the addition of real numbers to be proven using properties of the rational numbers and the cut operation. This provides a rigorous and logical proof for the addition of real numbers.

3. Can Dedekind cuts be used to prove other operations on real numbers?

Yes, Dedekind cuts can also be used to prove the multiplication and ordering of real numbers. They are a fundamental concept in the construction of the real numbers and are essential in proving various properties and operations on real numbers.

4. Are Dedekind cuts the only way to construct the real numbers?

No, there are other methods of constructing the real numbers, such as using Cauchy sequences. However, Dedekind cuts are a widely accepted and commonly used method due to their simplicity and effectiveness in proving important properties of the real numbers.

5. How do Dedekind cuts relate to the concept of completeness in the real numbers?

The completeness of the real numbers means that there are no "gaps" or missing numbers in the real number line. Dedekind cuts are a key component in proving the completeness of the real numbers, as they provide a way to fill in any gaps and define the real numbers in a rigorous and complete manner.