Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Dedekind Cuts

1. Jan 27, 2017 #1
    I'm trying to wrap my head around these Dedekind cuts. The definition is straightforward but I'm a little confused about the downward closure part.

##x \in Q## and ##y<x \Longrightarrow y \in Q##

Does that mean that this is not a cut because it is bounded below?

{## x \in Q : x>1 \wedge x<2 ##}

Clear this up for me please.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2017 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it's not a cut. Another way to think of it is that a cut splits the set of all rationals into two nonempty pieces: A "left" set, [itex]L[/itex], and a "right" set, [itex]R[/itex], where
    • Every rational [itex]x[/itex] is either in [itex]L[/itex] or [itex]R[/itex].
    • If [itex]x[/itex] is in [itex]L[/itex], and [itex]y[/itex] is in [itex]R[/itex], then [itex]x < y[/itex]
    • The real associated with the pair [itex]L,R[/itex] is the unique number [itex]r[/itex] that is greater than or equal to every element of [itex]L[/itex] and less than or equal to every element of [itex]R[/itex]
    A Dedekind cut is just such an [itex]L[/itex].

4. Feb 13, 2017 #3
    stevendaryl wrote:

The real associated with the pair ##L,R## is the unique number ##r## that is greater than or equal to every element of ##L## and less than or equal to every element of ##R##

Since Dedekind cuts are used to construct the reals I think it would be better to say that the real number ##r## is the cut, or preferably that ##L## as defined by OP is an extended real number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted