Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dedicated surgeon

1. May 27, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doc Stops Surgery to Give Own Blood to Patient
    http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/ap_060526_doc_blood.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2006 #2
    Wow...quite impressive...

4. May 27, 2006 #3

Mk

Greatly admirable, I'm glad we have people like that. Who am I kidding? I would have done the same thing... although I have A-.

5. May 27, 2006 #4

cronxeh

Gold Member

me2 for both. same type :biggrin:

speaking of which.. you can donate red blood cells for any blood type, instead whole blood (plasma included, which has the antibodies)

6. May 27, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

That's what being a real doctor is all about, as opposed to those who are in it for the bucks. As long as someone was capable of looking after things for the brief while that he was out of service, then it was definitely the right thing to do. Even if the patient had to be left unattended for that same brief while, the possibility of saving his life versus the certainty of his bleeding to death, still made it the right thing. Hats off to medical professionals.
    And I have the good fortune to be O-, so I can donate to anyone.

7. May 27, 2006 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The story reminded me of those old MASH episodes. The docs had to find ways to "make do" or come up with creative solutions in dire situations.

8. May 27, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah. I remember the episode where BJ 'invented' the open-heart defibrillator with a couple of salad tongs and a power supply. That impressed me so much that I've been afraid to look it up and find out whether or not it was really a MASH unit surgeon who came up with it.

9. May 27, 2006 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh yeah, I think I vaguely remember that one -- that, and the time Hawkeye did the tracheotomy with the empty fountain pen.

Have you ever watched MASH, cronxeh?

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  10. May 28, 2006 #9

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Beautiful News!. Definetly Inspirational :approve:

11. May 28, 2006 #10
    AB+

That's admirable. There's good karma coming his way

12. May 28, 2006 #11
    who starts an aortic transplant surgery on a patient without first making sure that there is a ton of blood in the patients blood type available for use?

~Lyuokdea

13. May 28, 2006 #12

Someone who's doing it in a third world country where there is no option?

14. May 30, 2006 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No doubt. It was a mercy mission after all.

15. May 30, 2006 #14

cronxeh

Gold Member

Was that post referring to me or Danger? Edit: btw MIH you can do tracheostomy with your finger if need be, no fancy stuff needed to save a life there.

Btw Danger I dont know how things work in Canada but in US docs dont make enough. Considering average doc makes 90-130 k a year, pays 25-30k in malpractice insurance and another 10k in student loans for at least 10 years, and pays at least 20k in taxes, its safe to assume that an average physician makes less money than an engineer who graduated college same year as the doc, not to mention residents work 80 hours a week and dont get paid 90k for at least 8 years after their Bachelors - as far as surgeons are concerned they work even more and get paid accordingly. Its the people who have a grabby mentality and sued the doctors over the years hiking up the malpractice insurance costs who are the problem in this society. Greed, Welfare, Bums, and Prostitutes is whats wrong with America today. Oh and dont give me the whole 'they are homeless because they cant find a job' crap. I only have HS degree and make 30k a year just by being useful. I drive an ambulance, big woop. Not once did they ask if I had 90 college credits (which I do).

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  16. May 30, 2006 #15

Danger

Gold Member

:confused: What brought that on?

17. May 30, 2006 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

Should've plucked this in:
    Whos in it for the bucks? If you want bucks you become a lawyer or real estate agent, not a doctor. Everyone knows that.

18. May 30, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, someone at Johns Hopkins did. You got me curious enough to look it up. :smile:
    http://www.geocities.com/neveyaakov/electro_science/kouwenhoven.html

19. May 30, 2006 #18
    I don't want to take anything away from this great doctor who apparently has gone to El Salvador as a act of charity and probably is not making the big bucks he can get at home. But ... There is no way I would be 12 hours into an operation to save someone's life and then watch it fail for lack of a pint of my own blood. My guess is that the doctor would have given the blood even if he wasn't doing the operation. But then there would be no story.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  20. May 30, 2006 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Hence the allusion to 'real' doctors. You're obviously not well acquainted with the slash-and-burn side of cosmetic surgery.

21. May 30, 2006 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some MASH fan you are!:rolleyes:

Father Mulcahey performed the tracheotomy with a pen and his pocket knife (I admit, even I don't get top rankings on my MASH trivia - I don't even remember what type of pocket knife he used :redface: ).

Hawkeye gave instructions over the radio.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?