Deduce Taylor Series: (2n choose n) x^n Converges to 1/sqrt(1-4x)

In summary, the Taylor series about 0 of 1/sqrt(1-4x) is the series summation (2n choose n) x^n. The series converges to 1/sqrt(1-4x) for x in (-1/4,1/4). Then show that summation (2n choose n) (-1/4)^n = 1/sqrt(1-4(-1/4)) = 1/sqrt(2)
braindead101
Deduce that the Taylor series about 0 of 1/sqrt(1-4x) is the series summation (2n choose n) x^n.
From this conclude that summation (2n choose n) x^n converges to 1/sqrt(1-4x) for x in (-1/4,1/4).
Then show that summation (2n choose n) (-1/4)^n = 1/sqrt(1-4(-1/4)) = 1/sqrt(2)

What I know:
Taylor series about 0 of f(x) = (1+x)^r, r is a real number given by summation (r choose n) x^n.
I know that (r choose n) can be rewritten as r(r-1)(r-2)..(r-n+1)/n!
and I know from a previous question that the Taylor series converges to f(x) for all x in (-1,1), and summation (2n choose n) x^n converges conditionally at x=-1/4.

How can I do this question with all this information? I am not sure how to piece it all together I am having a lot of trouble with this course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you know how to Taylor-expand the function [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x}}=(1+x)^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex], it just your formula with r = -1/2.

So then just write -4x instead of x and you have the Taylor expansion for the given function:smile:

You might want to try and play around with the binomial coefficients ("r chose n") to bring it into the desired form.

Last edited:
I have tried to do this, but I am stuck and cannot get them to equal each other.
For f(x)=(1+(-4x))^(-1/2)
The taylor series about 0 is:
sum (-1/2 choose n) (-4x)^n
expanding binomial coefficients:
sum -1/2(-1/2-1)(-1/2-2)...(-1/2-n+1) / n! x (-4)^n (x)^n
sum -1/2(-3/2)(-5/2)...(1/2-n)/n! x (-1)^n (4)^n (x)^n

While the series I am trying to get is:
sum (2n choose n) x^n
expanding binomial coefficients:
sum 2n(2n-1)(2n-2)..(2n-n+1)/n! (x)^n
sum 2n(n-1/2)(n-1)(n-3/2)...(n+1)/n! (x)^n

I am stuck now

can anyone help me out, i am still stuck in same place

What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a multiple of a successive power of the variable.

What does it mean for a Taylor Series to converge?

When a Taylor series converges, it means that the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms approaches infinity.

How is the (2n choose n) x^n formula related to the Taylor Series?

The (2n choose n) x^n formula is the general form of a Taylor series, where n represents the number of terms and x represents the variable. In this case, the formula is used to calculate the Taylor series for the function 1/sqrt(1-4x).

Why is it important to know that (2n choose n) x^n converges to 1/sqrt(1-4x)?

Knowing that (2n choose n) x^n converges to 1/sqrt(1-4x) allows us to accurately represent and approximate the original function using a Taylor series. This is useful in a variety of mathematical and scientific applications.

What is the significance of the value 4 in the formula (2n choose n) x^n converges to 1/sqrt(1-4x)?

The value 4 in the formula represents the radius of convergence for the Taylor series. This means that the series will only converge for values of x that are within a certain distance from 0. In this case, the series will only converge for values of x that are less than 1/4 or greater than -1/4.