Proving Squares of Odd Integers Always 8k+1

• Thread starter msimard8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the square of an odd integer is always of the form 8k+1, where k is an integer. To prove this statement, one uses induction, which is a rigorous and deductive process. If one expands the square, it becomes divisible by 8. However, this theorem can also be proved using deductive reasoning, assuming the statement is true for a particular value of k.
msimard8
Here is the question. I have to prove it.

Prove that the square of an odd integer is always of the form 8k+1, which k is an integer.

Now I do not know how to start it. But this is what I came up with.

odd integer= 2k+1

therefore the square of an odd integer (2k+1)^2

i have used inductive reasoning to prove that is statement is correct
example
if k=1 then the expression becomes 9 (3^2)
if k =3 then the epression becomes 25 (5^2)
if k=6 then the expression becomes 49 (7^2)

now how to prove it with deductive reasonings.

I am not sure how to start this one.

Can you please give me a hint:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
That is not induction, that is just trying a few examples and it shows almost nothing. (though it may help for thinking about it) Mathematical induction is rigorous and deductive--have you been exposed to it?

Anyway, it may be easier in this case not to use induction. What happens if you expand the square? How can you rewrite that so that you know part of it is divisible by 8, and the other part is 1?

thanks for the help

i worked out the problem to get

4 k (k+1) + 1

therefore the one term is divisible by 4, and 2 (since k and k+1 are consecutive making one of them even)

now i have a remainder of 1, does that matter. why did you tell me to have one part of the equation 1.

The problem states,
"Prove that the square of an odd integer is always of the form 8k+1, where k is an integer."
In what you've written, can you identify the 8k and the 1? (the "k" will be a different number from what you have for k)

You are confusing things by using the same letter, k, in the statement "the square of an odd number is 8k+ 1" and "the odd number is 2k+1".
Also you then calculate for various values of k in the 8k+ 1 form. You want to look the other way: what happens for different k in (2k+1)2?

Rewrite the statement of theorem as "the square of any odd number is 8n+1".

12= 1= 8(0)+ 1 so it is true.

Assume (2k+1)2= 4k2+ 4k+ 1= 8n+ 1.

Now look at k+1 instead of k: the next odd number is 2(k+1)+ 1= 2k+ 3 and (2k+ 3)2= 4k2+ 12k+ 9. Can you rewrite that as (4k2+ 4k+ 1) plus something?

1. What is the statement "Proving Squares of Odd Integers Always 8k+1"?

The statement "Proving Squares of Odd Integers Always 8k+1" refers to a mathematical theorem that states that the square of any odd integer can always be expressed as 8 multiplied by some other integer, plus 1. This is known as the 8k+1 form.

2. Why is this statement important?

This statement is important because it helps us understand the properties of odd integers and their relationships to other numbers. It also has various applications in number theory and can be used to prove other mathematical theorems.

3. How can this statement be proven?

This statement can be proven through mathematical induction, which involves showing that the statement holds true for a base case, and then proving that if it holds true for any given odd integer, it must also hold true for the next odd integer.

4. What is the significance of the number 8 in this statement?

The number 8 in this statement is significant because it is the result of multiplying two odd numbers together (3 and 5) and adding 1. This can be generalized to any odd integer, making 8 a key factor in proving the statement.

5. Are there any exceptions to this statement?

No, there are no exceptions to this statement. It holds true for all odd integers, including negative and non-integer values. This has been proven through extensive mathematical research and is accepted as a universal truth in the field of number theory.