Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deep freeze

1. Apr 28, 2012 #1
    Today i watched Discovery about the fate of the universe.
    One of the presenters said that finally all the energies used up and the universe will be in deep freeze.

My question is where all the energies go?
    What about conservation of energies?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi azizlwl! :smile:
    i think the energy stays the same, but the energy density tends to zero :confused:

4. Apr 28, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Over time the stars will run out of fuel and cease to shine and all thermal energy will be radiated away from all objects. Without a source of energy the entire universe will gradually approach absolute zero. The expansion of the universe ensures that any energy radiated away will be redshifted into longer wavelength light, lowering it's energy. Energy conservation does not apply in it's normal form when dealing with the expansion of the universe. The subject is actually kind of complicated and I have no chance of trying to explain the details.

5. May 6, 2012 #4
  6. May 28, 2012 #5
    It doesn't mean that universe will freeze , universe will have less energy.Universe will not freeze at once it will start from the end where there is less supply of energy.

7. May 28, 2012 #6

FOIWATER

Gold Member

8. May 29, 2012 #7

Drakkith

The cooling process will occur equally everywhere in the universe when you look at the largest scales. At the smaller scales individual sections and objects will vary, but over time these variations will die off as the final stars begin to run out of fuel, white dwarfs cool off, etc.

9. May 29, 2012 #8
    All stars will not runoff fuel at once. will it?

10. May 29, 2012 #9

Drakkith

Nope. Stars are being created and die off all the time, with the exact lifetime of each star depending mostly on it's initial mass. High mass stars will live for a much shorter time than low mass stars. Low mass red dwarfs will still be hot and shining for many many billions of years.

11. May 31, 2012 #10
    Energy remains the same. What declines are the temperature differences. Eventually a bland equilibrium will be reached, meaning the end of all change.

12. Jun 1, 2012 #11
    ya thatz what i was thinking of.

13. Jun 1, 2012 #12
    Today I am very happy because i have created my own telescope from 100 cm focal length convex lense.

14. Jun 1, 2012 #13

Today I am very happy because i have created my own telescope from 100 cm focal length convex lense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook