Does Deep Inelastic Scattering Reveal the True Nature of Baryons?

In summary, the conversation discusses deep inelastic scattering (DIS) in which a fast lepton interacts with a quark in a baryon through a virtual photon. This interaction does not change the particle type, but there is an arrow labeled "X" which represents other possible hadrons that may be involved. The target is said to be "shattered" by the interaction, and there is confusion about how this relates to the original quark components remaining the same. DES is seen as an improvement upon Rutherford's experiment as it allows for the penetration of the nucleus and the identification of three charge centers in the baryon. The high energy of the electron allows for smaller wavelengths and the ability to probe small distances, which may be
Glenn G
Hi,
There's a pic on wiki page (Feynman type) showing deep inelastic scattering where a fast lepton interacts with a quark in a baryon by a virtual photon (clearly that doesn't change particle type) then there's an arrow labelled X that I guess is maybe a stream of other hadrons (mesons mostly I guess provided conservation laws hold). It then goes on to talk about the target being shattered by the interaction ? I can't see what is meant by this if the original quark components of the target remain the same?

I get the idea that DES is a step up from Rutherford in that it got to penetrate the nucleus and that it apparently from analysing the angles made it clear that there were 3 charge centres in the baryon. But it then goes to talk about high energy electron means small wavelength and using that line of argument to discuss being able to probe small distances ... now I don't get why that argument tallies with what it said in the rest of the discussion ( I have read about de Broglie in connection with electron diffraction that I'm now happy with)

Any help graciously received.
G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Glenn G said:
Hi,
There's a pic on wiki page
Which page?

IMG_1390.JPG

If it is inelastic, X is not the initial hadron (alone) by definition. It can be the initial hadron plus something else (mesons dominate, but baryon/antibaryon pairs are also possible), it can be an excited state of the baryon, but it can also be a completely different baryon (always with the option to have additional hadrons). All those things are summarized as DIS, so "X" is used to show that we don't look at a specific final state here.

Likes Glenn G

What is deep inelastic scattering?

Deep inelastic scattering is a process in which a high-energy lepton (such as an electron) is scattered off a nucleon (such as a proton or neutron). This allows for the investigation of the internal structure of the nucleon and the underlying fundamental particles, called quarks, that make up protons and neutrons.

How is deep inelastic scattering used in particle physics research?

Deep inelastic scattering is a key tool used in particle physics to study the internal structure of nucleons and to probe the strong interaction between quarks. By measuring the energy and angle of the scattered lepton, scientists can extract information about the quark distribution inside the nucleon and the fundamental forces at work.

What are some applications of deep inelastic scattering?

Deep inelastic scattering has a wide range of applications in particle physics research, including confirming the existence of quarks, measuring their properties, and studying the structure and dynamics of the strong nuclear force. It is also used in the search for new particles and to test theories such as the Standard Model.

What are the challenges of studying deep inelastic scattering?

One of the main challenges of studying deep inelastic scattering is that it requires high-energy accelerators and detectors, as well as complex data analysis techniques. Additionally, the process involves interactions between multiple particles, making it difficult to isolate and study individual events.

What advancements have been made in deep inelastic scattering research?

Over the years, advancements in accelerator technology and detection techniques have allowed for more precise and detailed measurements of deep inelastic scattering. This has led to a better understanding of the internal structure of nucleons and the strong nuclear force, as well as the discovery of new particles and the testing of theoretical models.