Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deep Throat, finally!

1. May 31, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2005 #2

SOS2008

Gold Member

I guess he was waiting until retirement? I thought I had read that Deep Throat would be revealed after he died, which was making some wonder if it was Rehnquist? Finally, after 30 years...

4. May 31, 2005 #3
    Is this for real?

5. May 31, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I smell a book deal.

6. Jun 1, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Everyone involved agrees, including Felt. This is all confirmed.

I should hope, for history's sake if nothing else.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  7. Jun 1, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

8. Jun 1, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of the all time great cloak'n dagger stories. And the model for the X Files' smoking man. Now that's true fame! :biggrin:

9. Jun 1, 2005 #8
    Re: Mark Felt's Coming Out

It is a good thing that we finally have confirmation of the identity of "Deep Throat." I sense he timed this info in consideration of changes/failures in news reporting over the last year that led to the retiring of Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw, unethical media activities that occurred in the 2004 Presidential election, and because of historically dangerous attacks aginst "free speech" and the press by the extreme Republican right. I suspect his health also played a role in his decision to come out now to allow him and others the opportunity to debate and proceed with retrospection. In this respect, we have been given a "gift of opportunity."

The best argument I've heard in support Mark Felt's actions were that he knew the Nixon White House was corrupted and already compromised (of which he was part), and he observed similar conditions at the FBI. Had he gone to either of the FBI, White House, or both, it is conceivable his "information" would have been used to "seal" the cover-up and destruction of evidence necessary prosecution, particularly the White House tapes.

The best argument against his actions have been that he "violated" his oath of secrecy to his post at the FBI, which he clearly did.

The question becomes one of, "Which was the greater violation: Remaining silent and aiding and abetting two corrupt institutions, or, breaching one's FBI oath to protect the greater institution, the Constitution and future of the United States?"

Felt's actions forever created a great new role of "responsibility" of the U.S. media to report on corruption - no matter what level of business or government it may reside. This would later lead Congress to enact the "Whistleblower Act" to protect those in government and business who come forward in such matters. Yet, the press has sadly since been "misused" on occassions as a "tool" to carry out lawless or profitable agendas, and sensationalize news for profit and ratings! Today, many Americans, including myself, question the media's committment to their greater role and the welfare of our nation and Constitution.

As an American, I wish I could entrust our branches of Congress, federal and state agencies, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and the trial courts to carry out their respective oath of duties on important public policy matters that I and other citizens bring forward. Personal experience from 1995 to 2001 demonstrated this NOT to be the case.

So I pose the following question to government and viewers of this discussion: "When government thwarts U.S. law and its oath of duty, for political favor and/or lobby money, and harm is brought on America, what would you ask of us as American citizens?"

Next, I pose this same QUESTION to the U.S. media?

You will find a sugar-coated account of how I received a "known defective CNS Delta (brain) shunt" following a 1992 auto accident on my web site, and the extraordinary lengths I undertook to bring about positive scientific and regulatory changes, only to face Congressional and FDA cover-ups which brought harm to thousands of Americans and an industry. Read "carefully" at www.diaceph.com. This site is a 21st Century effort to bring "constructive progress" to failed American government and business practices.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2005
  10. Jun 1, 2005 #9

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Don’t attribute a higher moral character or a lower one to a government employee or politician, or to the business executive, then you would to the general population. We are all just animals but uniquely gifted with a sense of the future. This gift is what distinguishes us from what we consider the lower species. We recognize there will be a future consequence to our actions. We plan accordingly, driven by synaptic activity unique to each individual, part nature, part nurture. What elicits a joyous sensation in one may elicit fear in another.

Hope for the best but assume the worst and “to thine own self be true”.

11. Jun 1, 2005 #10
    i was hearing something about he was trying to gain some publicity money to help fund his grandkids' education lol

12. Jun 2, 2005 #11
    Re: Deep Throat Comes Clean

Timing is everything! It's hard for those on the outside to know Mar Felt's real motivation for speaking out now. So look for it to coincide with .....

13. Jun 3, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Woodward has already finished his book about this.

Whatever the motive, I'm glad that Felt came out before this death. Now all involved can agree or not as to the facts of what took down a President.

And lets be clear, even as the assistant director of the FBI, Felt told Woodward that he feared for his life. He stated that he was afraid that the Nixon machine would have him killed.

14. Jun 3, 2005 #13

SOS2008

Gold Member

I was about to post similarly. The cover-up was so extensive Felt could not have gone any other route. Woodward and Bernstien have expressed relief that Felt has identified himself, therefore preventing possible skepticism as to the truth of who Deep Throat was, as well as why he did what he did.

The question of whether he is a traitor or hero... I say thank goodness the corruption was exposed, and hopefully all politicians will keep this in mind.

15. Jun 3, 2005 #14
    Very perceptive and elloquently spoken, Ivan Seeking. It's a pleasure to be amoung such intelligent company on this forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?