Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deer oh deer

1. Jul 26, 2011 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I finally broke out my new camera and learned how to use it... sort of. So I decided to post a few pics of our newest children. They've been hanging around the office [my converted barn] every day since they were probably just a few days old, but I didn't manage to get any shots until now - the camera was still in the box!

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/1162/deer1resized.jpg [Broken]

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/559/deer2resized.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

OMG!!! I hate you!!! MINE!!!!

Look at those faces!!! I need to juice them!!!

4. Jul 26, 2011 #3
    We were camping along Skyline Drive a few years ago when a doe and her fawn wandered into our campsite. She didn't catch wind of me until her fawn was about 10 feet away from me. At that point she situated herself between me and it pretty hastily and then off they ambled for safer (in her opinion) browsing.

5. Jul 27, 2011 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am the deer wheeesperer.

Truly, I've been learning deer for years now. Long slow blinks, a slumped body, frequently look down or away, turn your back for a few moments, talk in a low, smooth, calm voice, approach in small steps, little by little... Over time they lose their fear and get more and more trusting as long as you don't make any sudden moves. Blow it once and it's all over with that one!

On one occasion, with a young deer I had been working all summer, I too managed to get within ten feet or so but while she saw me coming! I've managed to get pretty close quite a few time but I only got THAT close once.

Tsu is the skunk wheeesperer. I can't tell you her trick because it might get me banned.

6. Jul 28, 2011 #5

Tsu

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7. Jul 28, 2011 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Houston, we have a problem. Tsu doesn't even know this yet.

I have a newborn baby deer who has lost its mom living in and around the outer area of the barn. There are plenty of grasses and water [the creek is still flowing a bit, amazingly!], and she/he is eating, but I guess I should see what else I can do. Perhaps a salt lick... Geez.

I thought she found her mom yesterday but apparently it was the wrong deer.

8. Jul 28, 2011 #7
    Is there a wildlife sanctuary anywhere near you? If you have to bottle feed, you really will become a dear of a deer. *wink* Hope the fawn gets help soon, not sure how long they can go without mothers milk.

9. Jul 28, 2011 #8

Disconnected

Gold Member

Now does this mean something I don't know, or should I be horrified right now?

10. Jul 28, 2011 #9

Evo

Cute things are FAT, and that makes them JUICY, and you have to juice the fat.

In other words you need to gently squeeze the soft parts. Or pet them or hug them.

Is this weird? I thought everyone did this. :blushing:

11. Jul 28, 2011 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

Oh NO!!!!!! :cry::cry: I didn't hear it crying this morning so I thought everything was ok....

12. Jul 28, 2011 #11

Evo

OH NO!!!! You must get it help!!! :cry: :cry: It's going to die from dehydration.

13. Jul 28, 2011 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  14. Jul 28, 2011 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*cough*paintball*cough*

15. Jul 29, 2011 #14
    What type of deer are those? The fawns seem quite fluffy compared to what I'm used to.

Very fun pictures.

16. Jul 30, 2011 #15

Disconnected

Gold Member

Okay, so what I am getting here is that you want to hug the cute baby deer, and not anything creepee or disturbing. Am I right? If not, please do not correct me...

17. Jul 30, 2011 #16

Evo

Yes. :tongue2:

18. Jul 30, 2011 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wester-Oregon black tail, I think.

Btw, no joke about Tsu being the skunk wheeesperer. If one comes in the house through the cat access, which happens at times in the spring and early summer, she tells it to leave, and it leaves! She must make just the right sound. If I tell it to leave, it ignores me.

19. Jul 30, 2011 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

20. Jul 30, 2011 #19

Evo

Oh <choke> gasp <cough>, the laser eyes!!!! :rofl:

OMG!! Those are great pictures!!!! You're so lucky!

21. Jul 30, 2011 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or maybe mule deer... I always wanted to think we had black-tail deer but it seems I was corrected on this point... maybe by Integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook