Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Default browser launch in XP

1. Mar 27, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Grr. This is still bugging me.

Outlook Express insists on launching any links in Firefox rather than IE. I cannot find the switch to change this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2006 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Easy fix. Just go to IE Tools, Internet options, programs and check the box that says the IE should check to see if it is the default browser. The next time you click on a link, a dialog box will pop up asking if you want to make IE the default - just say yes, and you'll be set. Just for curiosity's sake, why would you not want links to come up in Firefox? The tabbed browsing is very handy for following related links without losing the original page...

4. Mar 27, 2006 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Mm. Did not work.

My default browser *is* IE (if I click on a .HTML link in a folder it will come up in IE), it is just in Outlook that it does this.

I found it in Options :: Connection :: Internet Connection Settings :: Change :: Programs

There's a checkbox that tells IE to check to see whether it's the default. I even logged off and on.

Hm. OK, I'll try rebooting.

"...why would you not want links to come up in Firefox? The tabbed browsing is very handy for following related links without losing the original page..."

Yeah. Much as I despise supporting MS, it's what I'm used to, and the overhead for getting used to FF is just not on my radar right now.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  5. Apr 4, 2006 #4
    Try- start menu between control panel and connect to on the right hand side of the start menu should be "program access and defaults" set your default browser there

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?