Why does my default printer keep changing to a printer I no longer own?

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
In summary, a default printer is the designated printer that your computer automatically sends print jobs to, unless otherwise specified. To change your default printer, go to your computer's settings or control panel and select "Devices and Printers". If your computer is not recognizing your default printer, ensure it is properly connected and has up-to-date drivers. Troubleshooting options include restarting your computer and printer, checking for error messages, and reinstalling or updating drivers. Multiple default printers are not possible, but you can change the default printer as needed.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How come no matter how many times I go into control panel and set my HP 5600 series printer as the default, everytime I go to print something, it reverts back to my 5700 series printer which I no longer own? How do I make this change permanent?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Not sure why it would revert back to the old one when you've explicitly set the new one as the default, but have you deleted the old one from your system?

I'll try that. It can revert back to something that doesn't exist. Thanks.

What is a default printer?

A default printer is the designated printer that your computer will automatically send print jobs to unless you specify a different printer.

How do I change my default printer?

To change your default printer, go to your computer's settings or control panel, select "Devices and Printers", and then choose the printer you want to set as the default. Right-click on the printer and select "Set as default printer."

Why is my computer not recognizing my default printer?

There could be several reasons for this issue. Make sure the printer is properly connected to your computer and turned on. Also, check if the printer drivers are up-to-date. If the problem persists, try setting a different printer as the default and then changing it back to the desired printer.

How can I troubleshoot a default printer problem?

First, try restarting your computer and printer. If that does not work, check for any error messages or alerts on your printer. You can also try reinstalling the printer drivers or updating them. If the issue persists, consult the printer's manual or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

Can I have multiple default printers?

No, you can only have one default printer set at a time. However, you can change the default printer whenever you want to print from a different printer.