Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Default Skin - Prime vs Nexus

1. Nexus

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. Prime

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  1. Feb 13, 2006 #1
    We would like you input on which skin you'd like to see as the default.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Other than appearance, what are differences in the two skins? (Is the functionality identical?)

4. Feb 13, 2006 #3
    Functionality is identical. Prime is about 10-12% faster and has the mainpage sidebar.

5. Feb 13, 2006 #4

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd go with Prime if it didn't have the sidebar, or if there was an option to remove the sidebar and have the "Who's Online" and forum stats stuff at the bottom of the forum index, as it is right now in Nexus. But as it stands now, I'll go with Nexus.

6. Feb 13, 2006 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

If prime is faster, I go for prime as well! But I admit that Nexus looks better.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  7. Feb 13, 2006 #6

Doc Al

If it's faster, and will help get back the preview window (:wink:), then Prime's my choice--all things being equal (see below). I'll take function over form any day. (It's a bit cleaner looking, anyway.)

I don't like the main page sidebar, but I almost never use the mainpage anyway. But without the "forum jump" feature that used to be at the bottom, I'm forced to use the mainpage. If that feature's not coming back, then I'll stick to Nexus.

If that sidebar is removed, Prime wins for me.

8. Feb 13, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm voting with Doc Al on all of the above points!

9. Feb 13, 2006 #8

Astronuc

If Prime is faster - i.e. if it uses less bandwidth, which seems to be an issue - it would seem practical to make it default.

I prefer Prime anyway.

10. Feb 13, 2006 #9

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I like Prime... with the sidebar. I think an option to turn it on or off would be nice... as long as the sidebar is available. Which of the two is the default doesn't matter... as long as Prime isn't the first of the two skins to be replaced.

11. Feb 13, 2006 #10
    I too would like an option to turn off the sidebar on prime, or to move it to the bottom. Other than that, prime is great!

12. Feb 13, 2006 #11
    Just to let you two know, I don't have any plans to make the sidebar a user option, sorry.

13. Feb 13, 2006 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Prime is my default setting. I find the sidebar a causing little crowding though.

14. Feb 13, 2006 #13
  15. Feb 14, 2006 #14

Mk

I thought everybody would vote for Nexus :confused: What was the design before the original Prime?

I haven't been on Prime since we got Nexus, and now I see it has changed. The usernames are less thick, color scheme is modified, etc.. and it does look very nice! Only thing is I think you should have kept the old shockwave banner up at the top. The current gifs as banner look cheap, and childish (no offense :uhh:). I'm sure you planned on having it replaced if we crossed over.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  16. Feb 14, 2006 #15
    You can't please everyone :smile:

17. Feb 14, 2006 #16
    Prime, for all the above reasons.

marlon

18. Feb 14, 2006 #17
    I definetly prefer Nexus: I don't find that it cuts down on my speed very much. The little gimmicks and graphics make it worthwhile.

19. Feb 14, 2006 #18
    I'd go for Prime if we could get rid of the sidebar. It just makes the page look too cluttered.

20. Feb 14, 2006 #19

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One reason I never liked Nexus is its reliance on Flash. (For webpages, I like HTML and javascript. Similarly, for email, I prefer plain text.)

IMO, one nice feature of the sidebar is the blog listing, which can raise more awareness of the blog and direct more traffic to it.

IMO, there should also be a feed to a PHYSICS resource (not just to SCIENCE and to ASTRONOMY). I'm not sure what is out there... I've stumbled upon feeds from
    http://www.physorg.com/
    http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/
    http://www.aip.org/rss.html
    http://www.physicstoday.org/

21. Feb 14, 2006 #20

Doc Al

Now that "forum jump" is back, I've switched to Prime. I kind of like the sidebar on the main page.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?