Deferment/Reserve of NSF GRFP?

• Other
  • Thread starter Dishsoap
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deferring the NSF GRFP for one year and whether this can be done through the "reserve" option mentioned in the FAQ. It is suggested to contact the NSF for clarification on the rules, as well as to speak with the graduate chair about using the other fellowship during the reserved years.
Dishsoap
Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone has had experience deferring the NSF GRFP for only one year. I will be in graduate school, but I have a first-year fellowship so I would like my GRF to begin in my second year.

I am slightly confused by the vocabulary in their FAQ - it seems like "deferment" is not allowed, but there is an option called "reserve". I'm wondering if I would just be in "reserve" for a year, or what. And several others on other forums have done this but don't mention how. Do you accept the award first and then change the status? Do I need to contact them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dishsoap said:
Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone has had experience deferring the NSF GRFP for only one year. I will be in graduate school, but I have a first-year fellowship so I would like my GRF to begin in my second year.

I am slightly confused by the vocabulary in their FAQ - it seems like "deferment" is not allowed, but there is an option called "reserve". I'm wondering if I would just be in "reserve" for a year, or what. And several others on other forums have done this but don't mention how. Do you accept the award first and then change the status? Do I need to contact them?

Call/Email them, worst case they may tell you to reapply for next year prior to the end of your first year of graduate school before you become ineligible. They typically don't allow deferrals (with some exceptions)... see here: http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2012/nsf12062/nsf12062.pdf (Outdated, maybe 2016 is different?)

Also see...
The Fellowship Period is five years maximum, unless there is a Military or Medical Deferral. The Fellowship provides up to three years of financial support (Tenure: Stipend and institutional Costof-Education Allowance) and up to two additional years (Reserve) with no financial support and continued access to other aspects of GRFP (international research opportunities, professional development pilot programs, XSEDE, etc.).

Reserve Status ensures that Fellows have the flexibility of incorporating professional development opportunities (e.g., research assistantships, teaching assistantships, internships, etc.) into their graduate programs. Fellows may use Reserve Status to postpone Fellowship Support for up to two years, in 12-month increments, during the five-year Fellowship Period. Fellows on Reserve Status must remain actively engaged in full-time research and/or coursework, leading to an eligible graduate degree in an NSF-supported field.

So can you reserve the first year and then use the other fellowship? I don't know about all the rules...not if it's another federal fellowship..

You might be able to... but again, call and make sure.

Last edited:
It depends on your department. Mine makes you use it even with the first year fellowship. However, if that is not the case I am pretty sure you could do that because you can choose the years you use the funding. For example, I know someone who used it for his first year but not his second year because his advisor gave him an RA. Basically every year you complete an annual report and then are asked if you want to use another year of funding.

Oh, interesting. From this thread and others it seems like what the technical term is is "reserve" and not "defer", so for each GRFP award there are 5 years, two of which are "reserve" and three of which are "tenure". So it should be do-able. It's interesting, radium, that some schools require you to use it the first year.

Thank you for all of the info!

Dishsoap said:
Oh, interesting. From this thread and others it seems like what the technical term is is "reserve" and not "defer", so for each GRFP award there are 5 years, two of which are "reserve" and three of which are "tenure". So it should be do-able. It's interesting, radium, that some schools require you to use it the first year.

Thank you for all of the info!
Is the other Fellowship from the DoE?

Student100 said:
Is the other Fellowship from the DoE?

No, it's a diversity-type thingy from the graduate school.

Dishsoap said:
No, it's a diversity-type thingy from the graduate school.

Then you should be able to reserve the government one the first year, assuming it's not somehow connected to the DoE or another government agency.. I'd call and make sure.

Ok so it's a departmental fellowship. You should talk to the grad chair then, I'm sure they have dealt with this before.

1. What is a deferment/reserve for the NSF GRFP?

A deferment/reserve for the NSF GRFP (National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program) is a status that allows a recipient of the fellowship to delay their start date for up to two years. This can be beneficial for students who need to take a break from their studies or have other commitments before beginning their graduate research.

2. How do I request a deferment/reserve for my NSF GRFP?

To request a deferment/reserve for your NSF GRFP, you must submit a request to the National Science Foundation. This request should include a detailed explanation of why you need the deferment/reserve, as well as any supporting documentation. The NSF will review your request and make a decision on whether to grant the deferment/reserve.

3. Can I still receive funding during my deferment/reserve period?

No, recipients of the NSF GRFP do not receive funding during their deferment/reserve period. The funding will resume once the recipient begins their graduate research. However, recipients may be eligible for other forms of financial support during their deferment/reserve period, such as fellowships or assistantships from their university.

4. Can I defer my NSF GRFP if I have already started my graduate studies?

Yes, it is possible to defer your NSF GRFP even if you have already started your graduate studies. However, you must be able to provide a valid reason for the deferment and have the support of your graduate advisor and institution. The NSF will review your request and make a decision based on their policies and guidelines.

5. What happens if I am placed in the reserve for the NSF GRFP?

If you are placed in the reserve for the NSF GRFP, it means that you were not selected as a recipient for the current year, but you may still be considered for the fellowship if additional funding becomes available. Being in the reserve does not guarantee that you will receive the fellowship, but it is still a possibility. You will be notified if you are selected as a recipient from the reserve list.