1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definate integral for area

1. Aug 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the area of the region bounded by the positive x-axis,
    the positive y-axis and the curve:
    (x^2) +[(y^2)/4] = 1
    using vertical and horizontal strips.

2. Relevant equations
    Basically I just tried to use integration to find the area, but I suspect I have made a mistake about what the interval for the integration should be.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Vertical Strips -
    Transposing the equation gives me: y=Sqrt[1-(x^2)]
    So basically I know that the area would be the integral of this but not 100% sure between what intervals. I suspect, from a graph obtained from a graphics calculator, that is between 1 and -1.
    Hence area= Integral of Sqrt[1-(x^2)] between 1 and -1.
    The integral I got to be Sqrt[1-(x^2)]x + arcsin(x), from a online integration calculator. Between 1 and -1 this would give a area of Pi.

Horizontal Strips -
    Transposing the equation gives me: x=Sqrt[1-[(y^2)/4])
    Now the integral of this I got to be [(1/4)Sqrt(4-(y^2))].y + arcsin(y/2)
    From the same graph I assume the interval for this one should be from 2 to 0. But substituting these values gives me a area of (Pi/2).

Obviously the areas need to be the same and they aren't! I'm positive that it is the intervals for integration that I am having trouble with, but where the mistake is and why I am not sure. My only guess is that becaise it says positive x and y axis that the interval for the vertical strips should be 1 to 0, but not sure and would this approach change anything I did for the horizontal? Any help or advice would be great. Thanks guys!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2
    here is the mistake
    you forgot 4
    and interval is from 0 to 1
    can you see why?
  4. Aug 11, 2007 #3
    and just a recommendation: It is better to get use to find integrals by hand rather than calculator;)
  5. Aug 11, 2007 #4
    Yeah sorry. Between 0 to 1 would make sense, as both horizontal and vertical would give me an area of (Pi/2) now, but using the same sort of approach is my horizontal method still right?
    Thanks for that matness, and yeah I really should stop relying so heavily on my calculator.
  6. Aug 11, 2007 #5
    Sorry i did a mistake also :
  7. Aug 11, 2007 #6
    you can trust calculators but i want to say it is better doing by hand in order to learn and useful for other calculations
    p.s.: Stop relying heavily what other people say:)
  8. Aug 11, 2007 #7
    Yeah I get what you mean matness, thanks for everything mate. I just not really confident with what I do and why, like in this question. Still not sure what I did was right for the horizontal strips.
  9. Aug 12, 2007 #8
    The equation says the curve is an ellipse.(see the image below)
    if x = 0 then y = 2 or-2 so graph intersect the y-ax's at 2 and =2
    if y=0 then x=1 or -1 similarly this means the graph intersects x axis at this points
    Anyway if you understood the graph no problem ? it is 1&4 of an ellipse

first of all integral means infinitesimall sum. Roughly you can either sum up the areas of horizontal strips or vertical strips .
    lets look at the horizontal sum case
    one side of the rectangle is dy and the other side is x which is equal to Sqrt[1-[(y^2)/4]
    and you have a sum from 0 to 2 because your region is given in this way
    so you have
    area=integral from 0 to 2 of Sqrt[1-[(y^2)/4]dy
    vertical strips case is similliar

you can check your result by using area formula for ellipses.you have to find 1/4 of the area of the ellipse

p.s.what i wrote is not so formal things i just try to explain intuitively
    i hope this does not make you confuse

Attached Files:

• new.jpg
      File size:
      6.1 KB
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?