How do I find the definite integral in a changed coordinate system?

• Thread starter RadiationX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses finding integrals in the perspective of the y-axis and x-axis, using an exponential function to solve for Y, and integrating the function y=sqrt(ln4-lnx) between y=1 and y=2. The final solution is approximately 0.995121 and was achieved through manual calculation.
RadiationX
in all seriousness because of the hurricanes in florida i did not get to learn about finding integrals in the Y perspective. given that this is my question.

let R be the region in the first quadrant bounded by x=0,y=1,y=2, and
y= 4e^(-x^2). to my knowledge the integral needs to be set up so that we change perspectives make the y-axis the x-axis and the x-axis the y axis. so we cut the graph with an arbitray "horizantol" line. so this gives us the integral from x=1 to x=2 (former y values). here is my problem the first horizontal line that Y touches is Y=0 (former x value) and y = 4e^(-x^2). now since we changed our coordinate system don't we need to change the exponeltial function thus x=4e^(-y^2) and solve for Y?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really,u need to find
[tex] y^{-1}(x) [/tex]

Daniel.

If you don't like it,then how about
[tex] y(x_{1})=1 [/tex]

[tex] y(x_{2})=2 [/tex]

The solutions will be your new integration limits...

isn't [tex] y^{-1}(x) [/tex] the same thing as x=4e^(-y^2) and solve for Y? is this not the inverse of Y also

Find x=x(y) and integrate between y_{1}=1 & y_{2}=2...

Daniel.

so is y=sqrt(ln4-lnx) my function to integrate?

Yes,it looks ugly,since it involves the function "erf"... :yuck:

Daniel.

P.S.Really ugly indeed...

man that looks so ugly and WRONG i hope this is correct. so what i have now is this
integral from 1 to 2 of sqrt(ln4-lnx). this is the area you say

Yes,try to integrate:
[tex] \int_{1}^{2} \sqrt{\ln 4 -\ln x} \ dx [/tex]

Daniel.

thank you. i'll try that

i used my calculator and got an are of approx 0.995121: this seems very small

I would't know what the final outcome would be,simply because it's pretty difficult to get...
Try to do it by hand,though.

Daniel.

i got it, the above is the correct solution. thank you

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve on a specific interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has a lower limit and upper limit, which determine the interval of integration.

How do you solve a definite integral?

To solve a definite integral, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus or various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You can also use numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule to approximate the integral.

What is the difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and represents a numerical value, while an indefinite integral has no limits and represents a function. In other words, a definite integral gives a specific answer, while an indefinite integral gives a family of answers.

Why is the definite integral important?

The definite integral is important in many areas of science, such as physics and engineering, as it helps to calculate quantities like displacement, velocity, acceleration, and work. It is also used in economics, biology, and other fields to model and analyze real-world situations.

What are some common applications of the definite integral?

The definite integral is used in various real-life scenarios, such as finding the area under a curve to determine the total amount of a substance in a reaction, calculating the volume of irregular shapes, and determining the average value of a function. It is also used in probability and statistics to find the probability of an event occurring within a given range.