What are the differences between alternators, generators, and dynamos?

In summary: The higher the number of poles, the lower the frequency and the slower the rotational speed. So an alternator with twice as many poles will have a lower frequency and rotate slower than one with four times as many poles.I think that's pretty clear. Thanks for the help!
davidcowling
What is the difference between,

- Alternators
- Generators
- Dynamos

- Rotors
- Stators
- Armature
- Field

- Commutators
- Brushes.

My mind is filling up with terms and I am struggling to make sense and define the difference between each!

your help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You really need to look at a diagram. Always try Wikipedia.

Try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_generator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternator

Alternators produce power from a stationary winding while a rotating field coil produces magnetic field.

- Rotors rotate
- Stators stay still
- Armature produces power
- Field produces magnetic field

- Commutators are the part of a rotating armature that brushes make contact with. They are for producing DC from a rotating armature or for making a motor work from DC.
- Brushes are sometimes graphite blocks that make contact with an armature.

see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commutator_(electric )

Last edited by a moderator:

- Commutators are the part of a rotating armature that brushes make contact with. They are for producing DC from a rotating armature or for making a motor work from DC.

you said the armature produces the power, but is stationary.

then you say that the commutator is located on the rotating armature.

sorry if I am being stupid.

davidcowling said:

you said the armature produces the power, but is stationary.

then you say that the commutator is located on the rotating armature.

sorry if I am being stupid.

Another wikipedia article that should help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushed_DC_electric_motor

Normally, the armature and the rotor are the same thing. The bit that spins around in a motor or generator.
In the special case of a generator that has the power coming out of the stationary part, the armature is the stator.

Armature just means the bit that power comes out of in a generator. It doesn't have to be rotating. If it does rotate, and produces DC it will have a commutator and brushes.

Did you read the Wikipedia references Berkeman and I sent you? What did you think?

ok got it...

now what's the difference between

- asynchronous generator (induction)

- synchronous generator

and what is synchronous speed / frequency?

do asynchrounous generators allow wind turbines to produce 50hz electricity even when the gearbox isn't spinning this fast?

cheers

All generators are synchronous with the driving engine. They produce an exact number of cycles of output for each rotation caused by the drive.

However to get certain exact speeds of rotation and hence get an exact standard electrical output, the drive engine has to be regulated precisely.

This is from one of the Wikipedia references I sent you:

The output frequency of an alternator depends on the number of poles and the rotational speed. The speed corresponding to a particular frequency is called the synchronous speed for that frequency. This table [6] gives some examples:
Poles RPM at 50 Hz RPM at 60 Hz
2... 3,000... 3,600
4... 1,500... 1,800
6... 1,000... 1,200
8... 750... 900
10... 600 ... 720
12... 500 ... 600
14... 428.6... 514.3
16... 375 ... 450
18 ... 333.3... 400
20 ... 300 ... 360

1. What are electrical components?

Electrical components are devices or materials that can control, store, generate, or transform electrical energy into other forms of energy. They are the building blocks of electrical circuits and play a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices.

2. What are the different types of electrical components?

There are various types of electrical components, such as resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, transistors, integrated circuits, and more. They can be classified as passive components, which do not require an external power source, and active components, which require an external power source to function.

3. How do electrical components work?

Electrical components work by manipulating the flow of electricity through a circuit. For example, resistors restrict the flow of current, capacitors store and release electrical energy, and transistors act as switches or amplifiers. Each component has a specific function and works together to create a desired result in the circuit.

4. What is the importance of electrical components?

Electrical components are crucial for the functioning of electronic devices. They allow for the control and manipulation of electrical energy, making it possible to power and operate various devices, from simple light bulbs to complex computers and smartphones. They also play a significant role in improving the efficiency and performance of electronic systems.

5. How do I choose the right electrical component for my project?

Choosing the right electrical component depends on the specific requirements of your project. Factors such as voltage, current, power, and frequency all need to be considered when selecting a component. It is essential to consult with an expert or do thorough research to ensure you choose the appropriate component for your project.