1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Define hyperbola

Tags:
  1. Jul 3, 2016 #1
    • Circle: its a locus of a point which moves such that its distance from a fixed point is constant
    • Ellipse: its a locus of a point which moves such that its distance from two fixed point is constant.
    • These definition makes me understand How scientist/mathematican have invented these conics , so what is the best definition of hyperbola , definition which can make me understand the mathematican's approach or thinking.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The difference between the distance to two fixed points: ##| \; ||PF_2|| \, - \, ||PF_1|| \; | = 2 a = const.##

4. Jul 3, 2016 #3
    I know this definition ,but the problem ìs that how can you show that the difference between these distance will give you a two symmetric opposite curve, we can easily realise about ellipse but not with hyperbola.

5. Jul 3, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The symmetry comes from the absolute value. One branch for each sign of ##||PF_2|| - ||PF_1||##. For ##a=0## one gets the degenerate hyperbola, a straight, the height of a double pyramide. Maybe I didn't catch your point.

6. Jul 3, 2016 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

7. Jul 4, 2016 #6
    I think I got

8. Jul 7, 2016 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted