Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Define hyperbola

Tags:
  1. Jul 3, 2016 #1
    • Circle: its a locus of a point which moves such that its distance from a fixed point is constant
    • Ellipse: its a locus of a point which moves such that its distance from two fixed point is constant.
    • These definition makes me understand How scientist/mathematican have invented these conics , so what is the best definition of hyperbola , definition which can make me understand the mathematican's approach or thinking.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The difference between the distance to two fixed points: ##| \; ||PF_2|| \, - \, ||PF_1|| \; | = 2 a = const.##

4. Jul 3, 2016 #3
    I know this definition ,but the problem ìs that how can you show that the difference between these distance will give you a two symmetric opposite curve, we can easily realise about ellipse but not with hyperbola.

5. Jul 3, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The symmetry comes from the absolute value. One branch for each sign of ##||PF_2|| - ||PF_1||##. For ##a=0## one gets the degenerate hyperbola, a straight, the height of a double pyramide. Maybe I didn't catch your point.

6. Jul 3, 2016 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

7. Jul 4, 2016 #6
    I think I got

8. Jul 7, 2016 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted