Finding Magnitude & Angle of Vector A (4.0m, -3.0m)

• Thread starter dakar76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, to find the magnitude of vector A, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. To find its angle in relation to i, you can use trigonometric functions such as tangent. You can also refer to Wikipedia for information on converting vectors between rectangular and polar forms.
dakar76
Problem: The vector A = (4.0meters)i + (-3.0meters)j
Find a) its magnitude and b) its angle in relation to i.

Question: I know magnitude is a scalar but don't know what I am really trying to find in this problem. Am I looking for the direct point from the start of i to the end of j? Do I just need to use the pythagoream therom to find the magnitude.
To find its angle do I just need to use tangent?

Physics news on Phys.org
dakar76 said:
Problem: The vector A = (4.0meters)i + (-3.0meters)j
Find a) its magnitude and b) its angle in relation to i.

Question: I know magnitude is a scalar but don't know what I am really trying to find in this problem. Am I looking for the direct point from the start of i to the end of j? Do I just need to use the pythagoream therom to find the magnitude.
To find its angle do I just need to use tangent?

Welcome to the PF. Yes on Pythagoream theorem for magnitude. What trig function can you use to find the angle?

If you still have problems, just go to wikipedia and look for info on converting vectors between rectangular and polar forms.

In this problem, you are looking for the magnitude and angle of the vector A, which represents the displacement from its initial point to its final point. The magnitude of a vector is its length, which can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. In this case, the magnitude of vector A can be calculated as √(4.0m)^2 + (-3.0m)^2 = 5.0m.

To find the angle of vector A in relation to the i-axis, you can use the inverse tangent function. The angle can be calculated as arctan(-3.0m/4.0m) = -37°. This means that vector A is pointing towards the southwest direction, with an angle of 37° from the i-axis.

It is important to note that in vector notation, the direction of the vector is indicated by the sign of its components. In this case, the negative sign on the y-component (-3.0m) indicates that vector A is pointing in the negative y-direction, which is towards the south.

I hope this helps clarify what you are trying to find in this problem. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle (in this case, the vector) is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In other words, to find the magnitude of a vector, you square both the x and y components, add them together, and then take the square root of the sum.

How do you find the angle of a vector?

The angle of a vector can be calculated using trigonometric functions. The angle can be found by taking the inverse tangent (arctan) of the y-component divided by the x-component. This will give you the angle in radians, which can be converted to degrees by multiplying by 180/π.

What does the negative sign in the vector (-3.0m) represent?

The negative sign in the vector represents the direction of the vector. In this case, it means that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive axis.

What is the significance of the units (m) in the vector (4.0m, -3.0m)?

The units (m) represent the unit of measurement used for the magnitude of the vector. In this case, it is meters, which is a unit of length.