Mainstream Cosmology: Know Your Ass from Your Elbow

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stream
In summary, mainstream cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe based on the laws of physics and observations from telescopes and satellites. It differs from other cosmological theories in that it is based on the scientific method and can be tested through experiments and data analysis. Evidence such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the expansion of the universe supports mainstream cosmology. The origins of the universe are explained through the Big Bang theory, and current areas of research include dark matter and energy, the early universe, and the structure and fate of the universe.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
cosmology, read all the papers in the arxiv, and tell me if you know your ass from
your elbow.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well I often don't wipe my elbow :confused: ummm what's arxiv?

Well, I am not an expert in cosmology, but I do have a basic understanding of the subject. I believe that to truly understand any field, one must continuously educate themselves and keep up with the latest research. However, simply reading papers on the arxiv does not necessarily make one an expert or mean that they "know their ass from their elbow" in cosmology.

Cosmology is a complex and constantly evolving field, with many different theories and perspectives. It takes years of study and research to truly understand the intricacies of the universe and how it works. So while reading papers on the arxiv can certainly increase one's knowledge and understanding, it does not guarantee a complete understanding of the subject.

Furthermore, I believe that it is important to approach any topic with humility and a willingness to learn. Claiming to "know your ass from your elbow" can come off as arrogant and dismissive of the vast amount of knowledge and expertise that exists in the field of cosmology.

In conclusion, while reading papers in the arxiv can certainly contribute to one's understanding of cosmology, it is not the only factor in determining if one truly knows their ass from their elbow in this complex and fascinating field. It takes dedication, education, and a humble attitude to truly become an expert in any subject.

1. What is mainstream cosmology?

Mainstream cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It is based on the laws of physics and uses observations and data from various sources, such as telescopes and satellites, to understand the fundamental nature of the universe.

2. How is mainstream cosmology different from other cosmological theories?

Mainstream cosmology is based on the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, and testing them through experiments and data analysis. Other cosmological theories, such as religious or philosophical beliefs, may not be based on empirical evidence and cannot be tested scientifically.

3. What evidence supports mainstream cosmology?

There are several pieces of evidence that support mainstream cosmology, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the expansion of the universe. These observations and data are consistent with the predictions of mainstream cosmological theories.

4. How does mainstream cosmology explain the origins of the universe?

Mainstream cosmology explains the origins of the universe through the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding and evolving ever since. This theory is supported by various observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the abundance of light elements in the universe.

5. What are some current areas of research in mainstream cosmology?

Some current areas of research in mainstream cosmology include studying dark matter and dark energy, investigating the nature of the early universe, and understanding the large-scale structure of the universe. Scientists are also exploring the possibility of a multiverse and the ultimate fate of the universe.