Define Science

In three words or less
 

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
34,925
3,800
LOL

In your opinion.

Can you try to define it in three words?
 
R

rachmaninoff

"The study of..."

Oh well, I tried.
 
Working sh-t out.
 

Curious3141

Homework Helper
2,830
86
"Not blind faith".

"Proof before belief".

"Common-sense made rigorous".

The last one is 4 (if you count the compound word as 2), but it's in my mind the best "elementary" definition that captures the essence of science.
 
Good Enough.


IMO Science

" Question of Thought"
 
no, my point was science is the the laws of the universe and why everything is the way it is.
 
6,171
1,273
Curious3141 said:
"Proof before belief".
This one isn't bad at all considering the gratuitous limit of three words.

Starting from scratch, and with no limit, I would have defined it as something like: The systematic and rigorous search for the most useful and communicable ways of analyzing natural phenomena.
 

JamesU

Gold Member
732
3
fact-based-studies
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,094
172
It appears that at the most basic level, the word means "to separate one thing from another, to distinguish," related to scindere "to cut, divide,", and then, "knowledge", but taking from the modern usage, "knowledge gained through study" is about as short as it gets. If you want to cheat a little more, "knowledge from study".
 
Last edited:
6,171
1,273
Ivan Seeking said:
It appears that at the most basic level, the word means "to separate one thing from another, to distinguish,"
A very similar activity to defining: de+finire to limit, end. finis boundary, end.
 

Danger

Gold Member
9,564
244
Non-Bush thinking.
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
Scientists' scientific research.
 
yourdadonapogostick said:
no, my point was science is the the laws of the universe and why everything is the way it is.
Science is the study and understanding of these laws and configurations. If there is no scientist there is no science, but the laws of nature still hold...
 
zoobyshoe said:
This one isn't bad at all considering the gratuitous limit of three words.

Starting from scratch, and with no limit, I would have defined it as something like: The systematic and rigorous search for the most useful and communicable ways of analyzing natural phenomena.
I almost included 'natual' in one of my attempts, but 'natural' has a specific meaning when describing science. 'Natural' science excludes sciences such as social sciences.
 
Zygotic Embryo said:
In three words or less
What the-!? Oooh.

Hardly a rigorous definition. :tongue2:
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
That's not ENTIRELY correct..

Damn, I broke the 3 word limit.
 

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top