How to define science in three words or less

• Thread starter Zygotic Embryo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: Social science is systematized predictive social knowledge. Science is systematized predictive knowledge.In summary, science is systematized predictive knowledge that seeks to understand natural phenomena through rigorous study and analysis.
Zygotic Embryo
In three words or less

Physics news on Phys.org
Zygotic Embryo said:
In three words or less

Please read

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=81783

There are enough postings in there to include a definition of science even when it doesn't satisfy your requirement of "three words or less" (you can't be serious!).

Zz.

LOL

In your opinion.

Can you try to define it in three words?

"The study of..."

Oh well, I tried.

Working sh-t out.

"Not blind faith".

"Proof before belief".

"Common-sense made rigorous".

The last one is 4 (if you count the compound word as 2), but it's in my mind the best "elementary" definition that captures the essence of science.

Good Enough.

IMO Science

" Question of Thought"

Investigating unexplained stuff?

What scientists do!

everything around you

yourdadonapogostick said:
everything around you
Surely that's the scope of science, not science itself.

no, my point was science is the the laws of the universe and why everything is the way it is.

Curious3141 said:
"Proof before belief".
This one isn't bad at all considering the gratuitous limit of three words.

Starting from scratch, and with no limit, I would have defined it as something like: The systematic and rigorous search for the most useful and communicable ways of analyzing natural phenomena.

fact-based-studies

El Hombre Invisible said:
What scientists do!

:rofl:

Perfect!

It appears that at the most basic level, the word means "to separate one thing from another, to distinguish," related to scindere "to cut, divide,", and then, "knowledge", but taking from the modern usage, "knowledge gained through study" is about as short as it gets. If you want to cheat a little more, "knowledge from study".

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
It appears that at the most basic level, the word means "to separate one thing from another, to distinguish,"
A very similar activity to defining: de+finire to limit, end. finis boundary, end.

Tom Cruise said:
Lafayette Ronald Hubbard
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Non-Bush thinking.

lol ^ at that

Scientists' scientific research.

yourdadonapogostick said:
no, my point was science is the the laws of the universe and why everything is the way it is.
Science is the study and understanding of these laws and configurations. If there is no scientist there is no science, but the laws of nature still hold...

zoobyshoe said:
This one isn't bad at all considering the gratuitous limit of three words.

Starting from scratch, and with no limit, I would have defined it as something like: The systematic and rigorous search for the most useful and communicable ways of analyzing natural phenomena.
I almost included 'natual' in one of my attempts, but 'natural' has a specific meaning when describing science. 'Natural' science excludes sciences such as social sciences.

Zygotic Embryo said:
In three words or less

What the-!? Oooh.

Hardly a rigorous definition. :tongue2:

That's not ENTIRELY correct..

Damn, I broke the 3 word limit.

howz bout this>>>>> ( i got it! )

*could apply to crackpots as well tho

Science defined in three words

Zygotic Embryo said:
Define Science [...] In three words or less
Systematized predictive knowledge.

Physics is systematized predictive physical knowledge. Natural science is systematized predictive natural knowledge.

What is science?

Science is the study of the natural world through observation, experimentation, and analysis.

What are the three words that define science?

Empirical, evidence-based, and systematic.

What sets science apart from other fields of study?

Science relies on the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, and testing them through experimentation.

Why is science important?

Science helps us understand the world around us and provides evidence for making informed decisions and solving problems.

Can science be used for both practical and theoretical purposes?

Yes, science can be applied to practical applications, such as technology and medicine, as well as for theoretical purposes, such as understanding the fundamental laws of nature.