Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Defining a distribution

1. Apr 22, 2007 #1
    Say if I had a random variable [tex]X[/tex] that followed a Beta distribution [tex]B(a,b)[/tex], and [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] were random variables.

How would I define the distribution of [tex]X[/tex]??
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I imagine you would first want to talk about the joint distribution of X, a, and b. Then you can worry about trying to compute the marginal distribution of X.
  4. Apr 22, 2007 #3
    Basically Hurkyl said it depends on how a and b are distributed. Once you know this you can calculate the distribution of X using the standard procedures.
  5. Apr 22, 2007 #4
    Why would X be a marginal distribution??
    Wikipedia says
    But in my situation I do not want to ignore the information from the other variables, ie. variables a and b.

It seems to me that I should look for the conditional distribution ie. [tex]X|a,b[/tex]??
  6. Apr 29, 2007 #5
    Let [tex]f(x,y)[/tex] be the joint density of [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex]. (You can modify the following if one or both of them are discrete.) Then

[tex]F_X(c) = P(X \le c) = E[P(X \le c | (a,b))].[/tex]

This gives

[tex]F_X(c) = \int_0^\infty\int_0^\infty
    P(X \le c | (a,b) = (x,y))f(x,y)\,dx\,dy.[/tex]

By hypothesis, the distribution of [tex]X[/tex] given [tex](a,b)[/tex] is Beta. So

[tex]F_X(c) = \int_0^\infty\int_0^\infty

where [tex]c\mapsto I_c(x,y)[/tex] is the CDF of a Beta random variable with parameters [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?