Defining a distribution

Hence, the marginal density of X isf_X(c) = \int_0^\infty\int_0^\inftyI_c(x,y)f(x,y)\,dx\,dy.In summary, in order to define the distribution of X, we need to consider the joint distribution of X, a, and b. From there, we can calculate the marginal distribution of X by taking into account the information from the other variables a and b. This involves finding the conditional distribution of X given a and b, and then integrating over the joint density of a and b. The result is the marginal density of X.
matfor
Say if I had a random variable [tex]X[/tex] that followed a Beta distribution [tex]B(a,b)[/tex], and [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] were random variables.

How would I define the distribution of [tex]X[/tex]??

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I imagine you would first want to talk about the joint distribution of X, a, and b. Then you can worry about trying to compute the marginal distribution of X.

Basically Hurkyl said it depends on how a and b are distributed. Once you know this you can calculate the distribution of X using the standard procedures.

Then you can worry about trying to compute the marginal distribution of X

Why would X be a marginal distribution??
Wikipedia says
In probability theory, given two jointly distributed random variables X and Y, the marginal distribution of X is simply the probability distribution of X ignoring information about Y

But in my situation I do not want to ignore the information from the other variables, ie. variables a and b.

It seems to me that I should look for the conditional distribution ie. [tex]X|a,b[/tex]??

matfor said:
Say if I had a random variable [tex]X[/tex] that followed a Beta distribution [tex]B(a,b)[/tex], and [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] were random variables.

How would I define the distribution of [tex]X[/tex]??
Let [tex]f(x,y)[/tex] be the joint density of [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex]. (You can modify the following if one or both of them are discrete.) Then

[tex]F_X(c) = P(X \le c) = E[P(X \le c | (a,b))].[/tex]

This gives

[tex]F_X(c) = \int_0^\infty\int_0^\infty
P(X \le c | (a,b) = (x,y))f(x,y)\,dx\,dy.[/tex]

By hypothesis, the distribution of [tex]X[/tex] given [tex](a,b)[/tex] is Beta. So

[tex]F_X(c) = \int_0^\infty\int_0^\infty
I_c(x,y)f(x,y)\,dx\,dy,[/tex]

where [tex]c\mapsto I_c(x,y)[/tex] is the CDF of a Beta random variable with parameters [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex].

What is a distribution?

A distribution is a statistical concept that describes the frequency and pattern of occurrences of a particular variable in a data set. It shows how often each value or range of values of the variable appears in the data.

Why is it important to define a distribution?

Defining a distribution is important because it helps us understand and interpret our data. It allows us to identify patterns and trends, make comparisons between different groups, and make predictions about future events.

What are the different types of distributions?

There are many types of distributions, but some of the most commonly used ones include normal distribution, binomial distribution, Poisson distribution, and exponential distribution. Each type of distribution has its own characteristics and is used for different types of data.

How do you define a distribution?

To define a distribution, you need to first determine the variable that you are interested in and collect data on that variable. Then, you can organize the data into a frequency table or plot it on a graph to visualize the distribution. You can also calculate summary statistics, such as mean, median, and standard deviation, to describe the distribution.

What factors can affect the shape of a distribution?

The shape of a distribution can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of data being collected, the sample size, and the presence of outliers. Additionally, some distributions have a fixed shape, while others can be manipulated by changing the parameters of the distribution function.