Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Defining Cuts in the Rationals

1. Dec 2, 2013 #1
    I'm having some trouble understanding why cuts are defined with property 3 below:

"A cut in Q is a pair of subsets A, and B of Q such that

(a) [itex]A\cup B =Q[/itex], [itex]A\ne ∅[/itex], [itex]B \ne ∅ [/itex], [itex]A\cap B = ∅ [/itex]

(b) If [itex] a \in A [/itex] and [itex] b \in B [/itex], then [itex] a < b [/itex]

(c) A contains no largest element." (Pugh, 2001)

I'm not quite sure why property three must be in place. Why does A have "no largest element" or I guess, what does it mean by "no largest element" in this context?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2013 #2
    It means that there must not be an ##a\in A## such that ##a\geq x## for all ##x\in A##. Equivalent to this is demanding that for each ##a\in A##, there is a ##b\in A## such that ##a<b##.

Why do we demand this? Well, the intuition is the following. With any cut ##(A,B)## we will define a real number. Intuitively, the number associated with the cut ##(A,B)## will be ##\textrm{sup}(A)##. For example, if you take

[tex]A = \{x\in \mathbb{Q}~\vert~x^2<2\}~\text{and}~B=\mathbb{Q}\setminus A[/tex]

then this will correspond to the real number ##\sqrt{2}##.

But this leaves us with some technical problem if (3) were not there. Indeed, if we only demand (1) and (2) then both

[tex]A = \{x\in \mathbb{Q}~\vert~x<0\}~\text{and}~B=\mathbb{Q}\setminus A[/tex]
    and
    [tex]A^\prime = \{x\in \mathbb{q}~\vert~x\leq 0\}~\text{and}~B^\prime=\mathbb{Q}\setminus A[/tex]

are valid cuts. But both of these correspond to ##\textrm{sup}(A) = \textrm{sup}(A^\prime) =0##. So both cuts would define the same number. This is an unwanted situation. The goal of (3) is to eliminate ##A^\prime## from being a valid cut.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook