Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Defining 'Liberal'

1. Aug 19, 2003 #1
    How do you define it?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2003 #2
    In American?, Canadian?, French?, British?

4. Aug 19, 2003 #3

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Personally I prefer Bertrand Russelll's take on the subject:

"The essence of the liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment. "

5. Aug 20, 2003 #4

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Seeing an elderly woman having difficulty crossing the street, the liberal person would assist her and feel immense gratification for doing so. The conservative would assist the woman but would derive no mental reward for the deed, merely considering it a proper duty to perform.

Simply put, liberals are driven by emotions, sometimes at the expense of rational reasoning. When discussing issues, liberals are prone to using derogatory terms, lacking a logical and factual basis to support arguments.

6. Aug 20, 2003 #5
    DO you have any 'logical and factual' support for that?

7. Aug 20, 2003 #6

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As opposed to talk radio personalities and their cronies who spit out the word "liberal" as an insult and as the cause to all the world's problems?

8. Aug 20, 2003 #7
    Post it in the 'Conservative' thread, if you would?

9. Aug 21, 2003 #8
    Liberals are progressives

Conservatives are regressives

10. Aug 22, 2003 #9
    The finest Liberals are Conservative, ray b is right, but he's talking about economics.
    Funny how those words have political as well as economic meanings. The conservatives, as they've styled themselves, wish to give all the Republic's money to the rich, and consolidate its power at the pentagon. Was this like the change of Rome's Republic to an Empire, or was it like the fall of the Empire?
    Ben Franklin is a superb Liberal, FDR is obviously progressive but not so multi-cultural as Kennedy or Clinton, I think.

11. Aug 22, 2003 #10
    Well, I think that I am going to apply a "Liberal" amount of sauce, to my "conservative" portion of fries.

12. Aug 22, 2003 #11

GENIERE

Science Advisor

You use sauce on fries. How repugnant! I use ketch-up usually but if feeling somewhat buoyant, I use catch-up. Those times requiring a tantalizing bit of piquancy are reserved for catsup.

13. Aug 23, 2003 #12
    BBQ sauce, with curd cheese, called a "Poutine", 20 minutes later and you will feel your blood vessels responding 'conservetively' to the, now, 'liberal' heart-rate you get!

14. Aug 24, 2003 #13
    Are you from Canada? I had some gravy-fries at Liard hot springs once.

15. Aug 24, 2003 #14
    YUP!! Like the springs at Liard too, the alpha pool and the beta pool, got a really nice 'pic' of me swimming/soaking in the beta pool.

Did you go there prior to the fire that burned out the forest near there, as I was there both before, and after, the fire. (intersting to see the difference)

Or where you there before, or after, the guy was killed by the Bear?

16. Aug 25, 2003 #15
    We stopped there in summer 1998 and new-year 1999/2000. That place is wierd, because it is SO far from anything civilizational.
    We stopped at a hotel in Tok, on the way south, and the only thing on the cable was a home video of people being chased down by bears (and taping it!). So this guy is up a little tree and there's a bear intimidating him and he's yelling "go away bear!" over and over... yikes.

17. Aug 25, 2003 #16
    Sorry Zero!
    So you were there after both events.
    Yes it is far from anything/everything, then again, I've been north of that, in Inuvik, that's out there, if you are looking for privacy.
    (I was, sorta, parked on the road and had a 'campstove lunch' little over an hours time, and not a sound, a soul, nothing but silence, B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!)

18. Aug 31, 2003 #17
  19. Sep 2, 2003 #18
    Franken is a funny guy. It makes me wonder- the Bush posse is not conservative, definitely not liberal, what are they? The Democratic potential challengers are basically not liberal - Dean wants to repeal the tax cuts and Liberman comes off as being very conservative when it comes to foreign policies.
    To the public, the liberal candidate is whoever the conservative candidate tells them is liberal, like a scarlet letter. That's what GWB said, "he's {Gore} the liberal candidate, and I'm the conservative candidate"
    Just another lie.

20. Sep 2, 2003 #19
    Ahem, four former oil executives?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?