Defining mass resisting movement exerting energy

Albert Einstein, famously summarized the relationship between mass and energy with the equation E=mc2. This means that energy is equal to mass multiplied by the speed of light squared. In simpler terms, mass can be measured by its resistance to movement and its ability to resist changes in direction once in motion. This is known as inertia. Objects with higher mass require more energy to move, while objects with lower mass require less. Furthermore, this concept of mass and energy also applies to objects in motion, as seen in the example of a car traveling at a high speed. However, the increase in mass at such speeds is minimal and difficult to measure. Overall, mass and energy are closely related and can be measured by their
Onon
I have read that mass can be measured by the degree of movement resistance to surrounding activity, so that an object high in mass will take more energy exertion to move than an object with a relatively lower mass measurement. Does anyone else have a different working definition for the word mass? Does the definition I have for mass not have any validity? If e=mc2 than does this mean that energy is measured by an objects potential to move surrounding fields of substance as well as an objects ability to resist a change in direction of movement once set in motion?

Does a car traveling at 60 mph have an easily measured higher degree of mass as a result of the fact that it takes much more energy exertion to alter the position of a car at this speed than a stationary one or is it so that only objects moving at great speeds have a noticeable degree of mass increase?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Onon

Does a car traveling at 60 mph have an easily measured higher degree of mass as a result of the fact that it takes much more energy exertion to alter the position of a car at this speed than a stationary one or is it so that only objects moving at great speeds have a noticeable degree of mass increase?

Welcome to the Forums, Onon!

Your description of measuring mass as inertia is a fairly acurate one. However, the example of a car in motion is not exactly what physicists mean by this. The amount of force the brakes must exert to bring the vehicle to a stop from this speed is almost the same as the amount of force the drivetrain was required to apply in order to accelerate to that speed. And by "almost the same", I should point out that the difference between the two is mainly due to friction of the moving parts and wind resistance. The amount that the cars mass increases at 60 mph is very small, almost impossible to measure.

If e=mc2 than does this mean that energy is measured by an objects potential to move surrounding fields of substance as well as an objects ability to resist a change in direction of movement once set in motion?

My understanding of E=mc2 is...
mass x c2=Energy

But then, I don't quite understand your question; I'd like to put a prepostition here and there, but it'd be better if you explained it..[?]

How are you defining engery and inertia? What are your working definitions for these words?

Originally posted by Onon
I have read that mass can be measured by the degree of movement resistance to surrounding activity, so that an object high in mass will take more energy exertion to move than an object with a relatively lower mass measurement.

Of course, what do you think F = ma is?
Mass is a measure of its resistance to acceleration.

Creator

1. What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is commonly measured in kilograms (kg) and is a fundamental property of all objects.

2. How does mass resist movement?

Mass resists movement through its inertia, which is the tendency of an object to maintain its state of motion. The greater the mass of an object, the more inertia it has, making it more difficult to change its state of motion.

3. What is meant by "resisting movement" in terms of mass?

Resisting movement refers to the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This can be seen in the way objects at rest tend to remain at rest and objects in motion tend to remain in motion, unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does mass exert energy?

Mass can exert energy through its gravitational pull, which is a result of its mass interacting with other objects. Mass also stores potential energy, which can be converted into kinetic energy when the object is in motion.

5. How is mass defined in physics?

In physics, mass is defined as the measure of an object's resistance to acceleration when a force is applied. This is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to its mass.