1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Defining period (T) in terms of A(max) and V(max)

1. Apr 5, 2004 #1
    Hello, it's me again. Yes Physics is most of my life right now. :tongue: Here's one I'm not sure how to complete. Any hints/tips would be well appreciated. Thank You!

An object executing simple harmonic motion has a maximum speed v(max) and a maximum acceleration a(max). Find (a) the amplitude, A, and (b) the period, T, of this motion. Express your answers in terms of v(max) and a(max).

Well first I know I'm going to use the a(max) and v(max) formulas (duh :biggrin: ).

a(max)= Aω^2

Well (a) is pretty cut and paste. Squaring v(max) yields A^2*ω^2
    Put this over a(max), and the ω^2's cancel and the square of A cancels as well. So A= v(max)^2 / a(max)

Part (b) I'm having a little trouble finding the suitable equation to use. I thought about using, a= -ω^2*A*Cos(ωT). From here I saw a(max) cancels Aω^2 leaving -Cos(ωT)=1. However, only numbers (or radians) and a(max), v(max) can be used in the final solution. Any hints/tips? Much obliged!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

[tex]T = \frac{2 \pi}{\omega}[/tex]
  4. Apr 5, 2004 #3
    Of course! Lol. It's always the easiest things I overlook. Thank You!

-The Village Idiot
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?