Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking. Can you clarify?

In summary: I'm still trying to completely understand the logic in adding 1/6 to 5/6*1/5. I understand that 1/6 is the probability of the 1st ball being yellow, but I'm not sure if I have the logic with the 2nd ball right. I take it as that there is a 5/6 probability of the 1st ball not being yellow and a 1/5 (one ball is already chosen) probability of the 2nd ball being yellow...so 5/6 and 1/5. So the total probability of one ball being yellow is 1/6+5/6*1/5...is that the right logic?
snoggerT
A box contains one yellow, two red, and three green balls. Two balls are randomly chosen without replacement. Define the following events:

A: \{ One of the balls is yellow \}
B: \{ At least one ball is red \}
C: \{ Both balls are green \}
D: \{ Both balls are of the same color \}

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, this part is just the setup to the rest of the problem, but I'm still struggling in this area of the class. Can someone try to explain to me how you define the events numerically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Still haven't been able to figure this out, can anyone help?

A, B, C, and D: There are 36 pairs of colors possible. Make a 6 X 6 table. Along the left side, label the rows Y R R G G G, and label the columns the same. In each of the 36 boxes of the table write a pair of letters defined by which row it's in and each column.
Then for each problem, count the number of boxes that satisfy the particular event. The probability of that event will be the number of boxes that make up the event divided by 36.

Mark44 said:
A, B, C, and D: There are 36 pairs of colors possible. Make a 6 X 6 table. Along the left side, label the rows Y R R G G G, and label the columns the same. In each of the 36 boxes of the table write a pair of letters defined by which row it's in and each column.
Then for each problem, count the number of boxes that satisfy the particular event. The probability of that event will be the number of boxes that make up the event divided by 36.

- I would assume that for D, you would ignore the YY column since that is not possible given that only 1 of the balls is yellow? I'm not getting the correct answers for the actual problem portion:

https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/4e/8c463ea6be26c39122f44993cdf9df1.png=[/URL]
https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/b2/d7de36f0f41c31b27bcb1db8fe7cc21.png=[/URL]
https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/a6/92530abeb12d8698db7c64dde491291.png=[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
How about put an X in the YY box, since that is obviously not a possibility. That makes 35 possible events, not 36, as I said earlier. How many boxes are there with RR or GG in them?

Mark44 said:
How about put an X in the YY box, since that is obviously not a possibility. That makes 35 possible events, not 36, as I said earlier. How many boxes are there with RR or GG in them?

RR = 4 and GG = 9

So that would make P(two red balls) = 4/35 and P(2 green balls) = 9/35. Do these square with the answers you have?

Mark44 said:
So that would make P(two red balls) = 4/35 and P(2 green balls) = 9/35. Do these square with the answers you have?

I get:
A = 10/35
B (compliment) = 15/35
C = 9/35
D = 13/35 and D (compliment) = 22/35

but I can't get the right answer with the problems I posted a few post back.

Mark44 is suggesting a way to count the draws WITH replacement. Not without replacement. That's different. Let's do A. Either the first ball is yellow or the second ball is yellow. The probability the first ball is yellow is 1/6 since there is one yellow ball and six total. The second ball is automatically not yellow. So that's (1/6). If the second ball is yellow then the first ball must not be yellow. Probability (5/6). The probability of the second ball being yellow is now 1/5 since there is now 1 yellow ball amid 5 nonyellow balls. Total probability (1/6)+(5/6)*(1/5). What's that? Try taking a similar approach to the other ones. Pick one and try it. This is not the only way to do it, but it's one way.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Mark44 is suggesting a way to count the draws WITH replacement. Not without replacement. That's different. Let's do A. Either the first ball is yellow or the second ball is yellow. The probability the first ball is yellow is 1/6 since there is one yellow ball and six total. The second ball is automatically not yellow. So that's (1/6). If the second ball is yellow then the first ball must not be yellow. Probability (5/6). The probability of the second ball being yellow is now 1/5 since there is now 1 yellow ball amid 5 nonyellow balls. Total probability (1/6)+(5/6)*(1/5). What's that? Try taking a similar approach to the other ones. Pick one and try it. This is not the only way to do it, but it's one way.

- I'm not having much luck with this, I still can't seem to get the right answers. I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

snoggerT said:
- I'm not having much luck with this, I still can't seem to get the right answers. I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

No way to tell unless you show what you are doing.

Dick said:
No way to tell unless you show what you are doing.

- I'm still trying to completely understand the logic in adding 1/6 to 5/6*1/5. I understand that 1/6 is the probability of the 1st ball being yellow, but I'm not sure if I have the logic with the 2nd ball right. I take it as that there is a 5/6 probability of the 1st ball not being yellow and a 1/5 (one ball is already chosen) probability of the 2nd ball being yellow...so 5/6 and 1/5. So the total probability of one ball being yellow is 1/6+5/6*1/5...is that the right logic?

I end up getting:

A = 1/3
B = 2/6*4/5 + 4/6*2/5 + 2/6*1/5 = 3/5
C = 3/6*2/5 = 1/5
D = 2/6*1/5 + 3/6*2/5 = 4/15

I'm positive C and D are right because the problem involving just those 2 was correct. I don't believe that B is right though, because I can't get the right answers with what I have for the two problems involving B. Can someone check my work? Maybe I'm working the actual problems out wrong?

https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/4e/8c463ea6be26c39122f44993cdf9df1.png
https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/b2/d7de36f0f41c31b27bcb1db8fe7cc21.png

snoggerT said:
I end up getting:

A = 1/3
B = 2/6*4/5 + 4/6*2/5 + 2/6*1/5 = 3/5
C = 3/6*2/5 = 1/5
D = 2/6*1/5 + 3/6*2/5 = 4/15

I'm positive C and D are right because the problem involving just those 2 was correct. I don't believe that B is right though, because I can't get the right answers with what I have for the two problems involving B. Can someone check my work? Maybe I'm working the actual problems out wrong?

https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/4e/8c463ea6be26c39122f44993cdf9df1.png
https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/b2/d7de36f0f41c31b27bcb1db8fe7cc21.png
[/URL]

There's another way to do B. It's 1-(1st not red)*(2nd not red). 1-(4/6)*(3/5)=3/5. I agree with you on that one.

Dick said:
There's another way to do B. It's 1-(1st not red)*(2nd not red). 1-(4/6)*(3/5)=3/5. I agree with you on that one.

Do you not agree with one of the others I have done?

snoggerT said:
Do you not agree with one of the others I have done?

I didn't say I didn't agree. I haven't checked them all. You know I agree with A. You said you knew C and D were ok. So I just checked B since you were worried about it.

Dick said:
I didn't say I didn't agree. I haven't checked them all. You know I agree with A. You said you knew C and D were ok. So I just checked B since you were worried about it.

- Right. So I must be doing my math wrong for the actual problems. For instance,

https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/b2/d7de36f0f41c31b27bcb1db8fe7cc21.png=[/URL] 1 - P(D|B)

but I'm not getting the correct answer. So I must be doing something wrong in my math. I'm doing P(D|B) like this: P(D|B) = P(DB)/P(D) = P(D)/P(B) , but I think that is probably wrong. Can you help me on this?

snoggerT said:
- Right. So I must be doing my math wrong for the actual problems. For instance,

https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/b2/d7de36f0f41c31b27bcb1db8fe7cc21.png=[/URL] 1 - P(D|B)

but I'm not getting the correct answer. So I must be doing something wrong in my math. I'm doing P(D|B) like this: P(D|B) = P(DB)/P(D) = P(D)/P(B) , but I think that is probably wrong. Can you help me on this?

I would if I understood what problem you were trying to solve. P(D given B)=P(D and B)/P(D), if I understand your notation. But that's not equal to P(D)/P(B), is it? Understand, I'm not a master of probability.

Dick said:
I would if I understood what problem you were trying to solve. P(D given B)=P(D and B)/P(D), if I understand your notation. But that's not equal to P(D)/P(B), is it? Understand, I'm not a master of probability.

-Ahh, well, I'm going to keep messing with this and see if I can't figure it out. I used the reduction of sample space for another part of the problem in which C was part of the subset of D, so P(D)/P(B) was valid. That won't work with the other 2 problems though. I don't recall ever struggling with anything math related like this before...pretty frustrating.

Good luck with the notation. You seem to have the probability part down.

Mmm. I think I see what they want. B says at least one ball is red. D says both balls are the same color. P(DB) is the probability of two reds. P(D|B) is probability of two reds given one is already red. P(B) = 2/6*4/5 + 4/6*2/5 + 2/6*1/5 = 3/5 as you said. You split it into three cases. The last case (2/6)*(1/5) is two reds. What you want is P(BD)/P(B). The (2/6)(1/5) is the P(BD).

Last edited:
It looks like Dick is setting you straight. FWIW, here is an alternate, more boring way to do it. There are only 30 possible outcomes (without replacement) so just list them all.

S={(y,r1),(y,r2),(y,g1),(y,g2),(y,g3),(r1,y),(r1,r2),(r1,g1),(r1,g2),(r1,g3),(r2,y),(r2,r1),(r2,g1),(r2,g2),(r2,g3),(g1,y),(g1,r1),(g1,r2),(g1,g2),(g1,g3),(g2,y),(g2,r1),(g2,r2),(g2,g1),(g2,g3),(g3,y),(g3,r1),(g3,r2),(g3,g1),(g3,g2)}

I'll find [tex]P(D|B^c)[/tex] even though it was not one of your questions.

B is "at least one ball is red" so

B={(y,r1),(y,r2),(r1,y),(r1,r2),(r1,g1),(r1,g2),(r1,g3),(r2,y),(r2,r1),(r2,g1),(r2,g2),(r2,g3),(g1,r1),(g1,r2),(g2,r1),(g2,r2),(g3,r1),(g3,r2)}

and thus

[tex]B^c[/tex]={(y,g1),(y,g2),(y,g3),(g1,y),(g1,g2),(g1,g3),(g2,y),(g2,g1),(g2,g3),(g3,y),(g3,g1),(g3,g2)}.

D is "both balls are the same color" so

D={(r1,r2),(r2,r1),(g1,g2),(g1,g3),(g2,g1),(g2,g3),(g3,g1),(g3,g2)}.

Now [tex]P(D|B^c)=P(D\cap B^c)/P(B^c)[/tex] so we need

[tex]D\cap B^c[/tex] = {(g1,g2),(g1,g3),(g2,g1),(g2,g3),(g3,g1),(g3,g2)}.

Therefore

[tex]P(D|B^c)=P(D\cap B^c)/P(B^c)=(6/30)/(12/30)=6/12=1/2[/tex].

What is the meaning of probability in scientific terms?

In scientific terms, probability refers to the likelihood or chance of a specific outcome occurring in an event. It is a measure of uncertainty and is often expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

What are the different types of probability events?

There are three main types of probability events: theoretical, empirical, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Empirical probability is based on observation and experimentation, and is used to estimate the likelihood of an event based on past data. Subjective probability is based on personal beliefs and judgments.

How do you calculate the probability of an event?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if we toss a coin and want to know the probability of getting heads, we would divide the number of heads (1) by the total number of outcomes (2), giving us a probability of 1/2 or 50%.

What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that do not affect each other's probability. This means that the outcome of one event does not impact the outcome of the other event. On the other hand, dependent events are events that do affect each other's probability. This means that the outcome of one event can impact the likelihood of the other event occurring.

How does the concept of probability apply to real-world situations?

The concept of probability is used in many real-world situations, such as weather forecasting, risk analysis, and market predictions. It allows us to make informed decisions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes, and helps us understand and manage uncertainty in our daily lives.